 General / 2547
Re: Play "I can name that piece..."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:50:52 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu (Joshua Delahunty) writes:
Piece two: Maybe a stumper. It is black, and 2.256 inches high, x @ 1.25
x@ 1.25. It has 8 sections on one side, and looks a little like a corner
piece of some sortIt slopes out from the top to the halfway point, and
then back again. Looks like a 45 degree slope, more or less. Says (c)
LEGO group, which may help date it a bit, and has two ovals on the
indented area. These don't seem to serve ANY purpuse, not even
decoration, so may be for identifying in some way?

Underneath, in the square to attach to the baseplate, says 4737, and
then under that 3 (space) 02.  Anybody know what it is, and what set it
came from?

1x1 Tile, Top Compartmented, 1x1 Top, 6H (in Black)

Qty Set  U.S. Set Name          Year Theme
--- ---- ---------------------- ---- --------------
2   6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft    1985 LEGOLAND Space
1   6972 Polaris-I Space Lab    1987 LEGOLAND Space
2   6987 Message-Intercept Base 1988 Blacktron
2   6956 Stellar Recon Voyager  1990 M:Tron
2   6989 Mega Core Magnetizer   1990 M:Tron

Whoa there, daddio, I had to look at almost all the pictures of those sets
before I understood what pieces that is.  Calling it a tile and giving it a
name like

   1x1 Tile, Top Compartmented, 1x1 Top, 6H (in Black)

doesn't take into consideration that the element is 3.5 x 3.5 studs in size
when viewed from the top, so it kind of sounds like some tall skinny piece.

No, it doesn't (take that into consideration).  The name comes from a
day when I named things more for their modification of a defined
element, rather than entire bounding-box approach to size.

Since they're no longer made, I haven't had reason to revisit the name
before.

What is the function of those chiseled/recessed compartment/vent/indents?
Is the element some kind of heat sink?  I think it's a pretty cool piece --
wish TLG still made it.  Love the way it connects sideways like the 3x3x6
corridor corner elements do in 6886 Galactic Peace Keeper.

Indeed, I believe an earlier name I had for it had "vented" or "heat
sink" involved in the name, but changed to "compartmented" for whatever
reason <shrug>.

I actually think of the element in terms of its relationship to
octagonal corridor elements, most especially the outside corner element.

How about something like?--

   3.5x3.5x6 Quarter-Spherical Heat Sink
or
   3.5x3.5x6 Convex Corner Vent

Hmm.  Don't like fractional lengths or widths, especially in light of my
brick.plate unit system for element heights, so I probably wouldn't use
either of those...

-- joshua