 General / 2572
Re: Units (Was: Play "I can name that piece...")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:38:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:
Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:

[...]

*  I used LDU = "LEGO DUPLO Unit" here, such that 1 LDU = 2 LU.**

Take care. Some people use "LDU" for "LDraw Unit", which is 1/4 LU.

Oops!

** Where does LU come from?

I don't know. I thought you, Paul or David [1] coined it?
Somebody had enough humor (and sense) to suggest that
"deciLU" [2] is the real base for LEGO measurements.

Play well,

Jacob

[1] The really old guys on RTL; Todd Lehman, Paul Gyugyi and
    David Karr.
[2] Real **** **** fans know what this is all about.    :-)

Hmmm, (digging through rilly old RTL news archives) wow, looks like the term
LU meaning 1/6 standard brick height goes back at least about 4 years -- it
appears first to have been suggested on 23 Apr 1995 by Kevin Horton.  In a
thread called "Lego plates scare me" discussing basic measurement
units, Kevin suggested, "How about 'legs' or 'LUs' (Lego Units)."

Two days later, on 25 May 1995, Paul Gyugyi used LU to mean 1 standard brick
width, and described a deci-LU as 1/10 LU, from which it follows that
standard bricks are 12 deci-LU tall.  David Karr abbreviated deci-LU to dLU
on the same day.  (I'm not sure if that was the first day Paul used LU that
way publicly, but David seemed to think so in his response to Paul and was
favorable toward it.)

Name confusions aside (two different suggested meanings for LU), the
measurement equalling 1/10 interstud width (.8 mm) seems like a most
excellent basic unit of measurement with which >99% of bounding-box
measurements can be given as integers.

--Todd