 General / 23517
Re: New parts for 2001?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:17:02 GMT

In article <39F89477.B089A1B8@netscape.com>, Tom Stangl
<toms@netscape.com> wrote:

Looks like cool new parts for '01:

http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/2/sys09.jpg
7315? "landing pads/feet" for small pod just below the main ship. They
look more complex than a simple 1x2 plate, and they don't appear to be
click-hinge plates. The arms may be new parts, too. Is that a 1x2 brick
with 2 technic pins?

Look closer - the feet are 1x2 click plates.  The arms look like 1x2
versions of the current 1x4s with click ends.

Yup, noted the feet were actually click plates in the clearer picture
of the movie studio sets. The arms look rounded rather than like small
versions of the 1x4 brick with click ends. I think they'll be more like
click hinge versions of the existing flexible arm parts with 2/3 finger
hinges.

http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/2/sys10.jpg
7312 new flexible hose pieces and wheels?

Nope - RockRaider style wheels, standard Technic corrugated tubing.

Probably. Never paid much attention to RR stuff.

7316 new grabbing claw part, may have rubber-band powered spring loaded
action (compare claws on bottom and top of this model). 2x2x2
inverted-pyramid brick just to right of the cockpit. I really like that
new cockpit piece.

Oh MAN is that 2x2x2 inverted pyramid going to be cool for details on
columns! (Now if they'd just come out with a 2x2 tile with center stud -
though a 2x2 Technic tile with center peg would probably fit).

On closer look, it appears the 2x2 inverted pyramid is more likely one
corner of a 6x6x2 TIE wing connector piece. Makes sense to provide a
stable base for the cockpit.

7166 Nice-looking angled cockpit piece. I can already think of many
uses for this part in my own models.

That's a train nose - see 4561.  Hopefully the grey is stickers (though if
not, it would still work well for a grey train).

Funny how an old part looks completely different when used effectively.
I had previously thought of that part as useless, probably because I
hated the 4561 train and the awful space port car. The grey looks
printed, but it is not an annoying single-use print.

7106 8x8 cylinder? Gimme!

TELL me about it!  I'll be buying a LOT for those cylinder parts.
And it looks like FOUR 2x2 inverse corners!  Can't tell if they are white
or light grey, but I'd want them either way.

It would be better if the cylinder parts were not printed, but they
should be good for many other uses. I think the 2x2 inverse corners are
light grey. Compare with R2 in the same shot. Definite color
difference. The only question is what to do with an army of '3POs?

John

AFOL and his money are soon parted.