 General / 22423
Re: Nuke Boston (was Re: Resolved: Tall SUVs should not be...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 20:39:03 GMT

We collectively agree that
we'll drive on the right side of the road, that red lights mean stop,
that you have to pass certain standards to operate the motor vehicle
on public property, that insurance is required, that all vehicles meet
certain safety standards, (like having the same bumper height...) etc.

Why, if these are good ideas, is it necessary for there to be regulation? And
if they're not actually good ideas, why is it a good thing that they are
mandated just the same? c.f. regulation of how much bone slivers can be
present in my hot dogs. Absent that regulation, meat companies would compete
on how little they had, or not having any at all, but now that we have a
minimum standard, they all don't bother to mention how much is in there any
more. Regulated standards ensure mediocrity because no one tries to exceed
them, there's no market advantage in doing so.

  If you'd add onto this a policy of full disclosure, I think I'd agree here.
My concern is that there could easily be a practice of rug-sweeping, under
which companies do whatever they feel like doing, all the while spinning and
respinning other companies' accustations re: food content.  With the presence
of regulatory agencies (which could, I admit, have analogies in privatized
watchdog organizations), food vendors are at least forced to adhere to
standardized rules, and corporate spin therefore carries (at present) less
weight.
  And, while we're discussing the contents of hot dogs, let's not overlook
rodent hairs and hog anus!

     Dave!