 Off-Topic / Debate / 6502
Re: Resolved: Tall SUVs should not be a priori banned
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:55:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I haven't thought deeply enough on the subject to know if items other
than strategic nukes fit that class. Of course an interesting issue to
raise is if we don't trust an individual to posses a nuke, how in heck
do we trust a government, which is ultimately just a collection of
individuals.

  The presumption is that government isn't (ideally) a throng of people who
just happen to be in the same place.  One hopes that the government is a body
of individuals empowered to act on behalf of others, and likewise held in by a
framework of checks and balances to prevent (again, ideally) any wildly
improper action that a single individual might better be able to undertake.
In addition, one of the criteria for elected office is experience, training,
and discipline (yet again, ideally).  To reuse an analogy I've used before, I
wouldn't trust myself to perform cardiac surgery on myself, but I would trust
a team of trained, experienced individuals.

   Dave!