 Off-Topic / Debate / 6409
Re: I'm lucky to be alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 18:08:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.people, Richard Marchetti writes:
I understand that SUVs and other raised up vehicles represent a particular
hazard to more typical automobiles in an accident because they have a
tendency to get pushed up and ride over the other car, crushing down or
otherwise just removing the upper part of the vehicle and removing human
heads as they go.

I don't understand why more attention isn't focused on this issue.
A few Firestone's wreak some SUVs and you're got a major crisis, but
those same SUVs are a major hazard to normal vehicles and there seems
to be far less concern about that.  Off-road vehicles should remain
off-road shouldn't they?

  Surely you must recognize the difference between a defective product (tires)
which, upon catastrophic failure, directly cause an accident and a product
(SUV's) whose design, in the event of an accident, may be unsafe.  The high-
bumper in itself isn't a cause of accidents, though a blown-out tire may very
well be.
  Of greater trouble, in my view, is the way that--at least in Pittsburgh, and
almost without exception 8^)--an SUV is treated by its driver as an excuse
from driving with any idea of courtesy or consideration.  Wild lane changes,
undue and inappropriate speeds, non-use of signals--whatever you can name,
I've seen them in practice here in the Burgh.
  Admittedly, these behaviors aren't necessarily more prevalent than in those
who drive respectable family cars, but it just seems more of an issue when the
headlights of the oncoming vehicle are right at forehead level!

     Dave!