 Off-Topic / Debate / 6490
Re: I'm lucky to be alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.people, Richard Marchetti writes:
I understand that SUVs and other raised up vehicles represent a particular
hazard to more typical automobiles in an accident because they have a
tendency to get pushed up and ride over the other car, crushing down or
otherwise just removing the upper part of the vehicle and removing human
heads as they go.

I don't understand why more attention isn't focused on this issue.
A few Firestone's wreak some SUVs and you're got a major crisis, but
those same SUVs are a major hazard to normal vehicles and there seems
to be far less concern about that.  Off-road vehicles should remain
off-road shouldn't they?
What I don't get is how they are legal on the road in the first place.

Chiming in a bit late here. As usual, it's not regulation that's needed, per
se, but some encouragement of responsibility. That super high SUV driver needs
to be responsible for things his SUV causes. I would posit that no-fault
insurance shields drivers from unwise choices and doesn't encourage insurance
companies to enforce policy conditions.

Rather than regulating the height of SUVs, why not let the insurance companies
charge higher premiums to those that choose to raise them to unsafe heights?

++Lar