 Off-Topic / Debate / 6496
Re: Resolved: Tall SUVs should not be a priori banned
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:51:32 GMT

The argument advanced by some that there is a clear and present danger so
strong that we have to ban SUVs a priori isn't supportable unless we are going
to ban each and every possible thing that might possibly cause an accidental
death. Anyone who wants to argue that as a good course is in for a tough slog,
the world is unfortunately an unsafe place and no amount of banning is going
to make it perfectly safe for everyone.  ... Stuff happens.

I agree with much of what you have stated in the rest of your response.

As to the above, I only want to be very specific about what I am trying to get
across: I don't care about banning SUVs or Monster trucks, I care about their
approximate height from the ground if they are used on the common roads and
highways.  Frank's anecdotal evidence does not convince me that there isn't a
legitimate concern about vehicles that are high enough off the ground to cause
decapitation accidents when they collide with other vehicles on the streets.
I don't think this concern is precisely the equivalent to a ban on that type
of vehicle, and certainly not a ban on that vehicle used off the rights of way.

Certain safety features like safety belts, and safety glass have become
standard aspects of vehicles sold in this and other countries -- why not as
simple a thing as a standardized/regulated height of a vehicle off the ground?
And this is not the same thing as trying to regulate all things that might
lead to an accidental death -- I have identified a single, key aspect of
certain vehicles that has been identified as a danger and that can be
regulated to the better safety of everyone on the roads.  This is not such a
very big deal.

BTW, we could be talking about making trucks meet the same safety standards as
passenger vehicles and I would tend to agree with that also.  Why shouldn't we
aim for a higher standard of safety for all vehicles?

-- Richard (not calling for a ban on anything, just certain safety
improvements)