 Off-Topic / Debate / 6494
Re: I'm lucky to be alive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I'd also like to see some good numbers on how much more injury SUVs
cause. I recently saw something which indicated that the fatality rate
for SUV occupants is similar to that of compact cars. This suggests that
unless the fatality rate is rising, that SUVs may not cause that many
more deaths.

  I'm not sure I'm understanding your statement; are you saying that the
occupants of SUV's and compacts are at similar risk of fatality?  I think the
concern, in addition to SUV-driver risk, is that SUV's may cause more injury
to those in the other vehicles, not simply the SUV itself.  If I'm
misunderstanding your statistic, then never mind!  8^)

  While I'm sure no one is really interested in rekindling the "guns/no guns"
debates, the line of reasoning here has helped me realize (I think) something
that I wasn't seeing before; please let me know if I'm seeing it right:
  Those in opposition to gun control object to further gun regulation as it
pertains to acquisition of guns.  That is, they object to 2nd Amendment-
restricting laws, since those laws prevent law-abiding citizens from obtaining
Constitutionally permitted arms--am I correct?   As such, to use an analogy
from Larry's and Frank's assertions about personal responsibility re:
vehicles, the heavier laws (whether existing or yet-to-be-written) should be
applied when the crime is committed with the weapon, not in the acquisition of
the weapon.  Is this consistent with the prevailing view on gun rights?

   Dave!