 General / 2106
Re: No way for a LEGO newbie to get up to speed? Unfair!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:11:46 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote in message <36A4B9E1.9FAFDE89@lynx.bc.ca>...
Alex Wetmore wrote:
I also wanted to say that I don't remember there being a lot of Universal
sets when I was a child.  My Expert Builder and Technic sets were 948 (Go
Cart), 950 (Fork Lift), 8032 (a Universal Set), and 8848 (a Power Truck).
The Universal Set is the one that I have the least memories of.

How about 8020, 8022, 8054, 8064, 8094, and 8485?  (especially 8485!)  All • of
which are now discontinued.

9719 seems to replace 8485 to me (8485 also includes a bunch of
"unnecessary" electronics).  It cost the same amount as Mindstorms does as
well.

I don't understand what pieces or selection of pieces you consider to have
come with these Universal sets that are missing now.  I don't feel that any
of the Universal building sets were very useful on their own (I can't think
of many Lego sets which one can buy and be content with the selection of
pieces for everything).  I still feel that the pieces from a few well-picked
mid-sized Technic sets are as useful as what you could have acheived with
the pieces from a few Universal sets.

Finally, if you could afford $200 for 8485 then what about $150 for the
Space Shuttle (plus a car, say Future Car, to get wheels).  I haven't seen
the Space Shuttle up close, but from the pictures it clearly includes many
gears, beams, axles, and the rest of the core pieces from Technic lego.

alex