 General / 2108
Re: No way for a LEGO newbie to get up to speed? Unfair!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:18:30 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote in message <36A4D43D.EA1EFA19@lynx.bc.ca>...
Mindstorms has something like 720 pieces or so.  8485 had over a thousand. • At
any rate, I don't think any single set, universal or not, is really going • to be
enough for a die-hard enthusiast.  A combination of 3 or 4 different • universal
sets, however, maybe totalling US $500 to $600 or so, could easily stand to • be.
Try to find a selection of "model" sets that would offer the same variety • of
pieces for that amount of money.

Has there been a time when there have been multiple universal sets out at
once?  From my memory (which is missing much of the late 80s and early 90s
since I didn't use Lego then) usually there was one Universal set out at a
time, not 3 or 4.  Yes, it is easy to look at Pause and say "I'd love to
have all of these Universal sets now".  But I don't think that you ever
could have walked out and bought them all on one day.

Universal sets have always had the desireable characteristic of supplying • the
greatest variety of pieces per dollar.  Mindstorms is a great example of a
universal set.  However, what else can you get that has as great a variety • of
pieces that doesn't have an RCX?

The space shuttle seems to have a wide variety of pieces, doesn't have an
RCX, and comes close to the 10 cents per piece mark that most Universal sets
hit.  The price includes two motors... if you don't count those and remove
their cost then it comes in at under 10 cents per piece.

The only problem I have with model sets is that generally speaking, the • number
of pieces they contain which have many uses outside the general type of • model
that the set is made for is somewhat limited, and not worth the money, • unless
one is merely interested in building that particular model or models • similar to
it.

I can see this for certain sets, such as the Super Car, which have one use
pieces (the 4wheel steering/drive pieces in the Super Car come to my mind).
However I disagree that this for most Technic sets.  Look at the Space
Shuttle (http://www.lugnet.com/pause/pix/technic/tech8480.jpg) and tell me
some pieces which you think aren't useful in a general sense.  The main ones
that I see are the angular pieces used for building the nose and engines,
but I actually do use these sorts of pieces fairly frequently in my Technic
building (and I don't build "models").  The only other thing which I could
see you considering disagreeable about it is that it comes with a large
number of white pieces, instead of black, yellow or red (the most common
Technic colors).

Of course the Space Shuttle is going away...

alex