 General / 2103
Re: No way for a LEGO newbie to get up to speed? Unfair!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:42:47 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

But there is indeed!  The 9719 Robotics Invention System is clearly a
universal building set, is it not?  I have hardly seen any other LEGO
set which promotes creativity as much as that set.

Okay.  You are definitely right on this one.  However, the RIS is about $200 US
for 700 some odd pieces.  Clearly a great deal of the expense is going towards
the electronic components which are not, strictly speaking, necessary for a
universal building set, and only serve to reduce the total number and variety
of pieces that one can buy for the same money.

And the new Super Car, the 8448, does IMO promote creativity more than
the previous Super Cars.  The previous Super Cars I fear that were
built, and then put on a shelf, perhaps taken down only to impress
visitors.  They're not very playable, you know, with the enormous size.
The new Super Car (8448), on the other hand, comes with pieces needed to
make many different bodies.  This, I think, will encourage the kid to
tinker more with the chassis, perhaps building a completely different
body, as opposed to just letting it sit on the shelf.

While the 8448 may promote some creativity in choice of particulars for the
automobile that one builds with it, it does not appear to have the variety of
pieces necessary to make a truly universal building set.

Mark