 General / 2102
Re: No way for a LEGO newbie to get up to speed? Unfair!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:35:41 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote in message <36A4501C.248EF8CE@lynx.bc.ca>...
So I have to ask, if someone were to want to seriously get into creative
LEGO Technic construction, and were starting out from scratch today,
what choice would they have?   The amount of money required to buy
enough of the model sets to have a good enough assortment of pieces to
be usable as a universal building set makes that avenue unviable for all
but those who have been blessed with an abundant disposable income.

The Mindstorms set is basically a Universal set with a microcontroller and
two motors.  Even if you don't want the computer the set is a very good deal
just for the pieces and motors alone.  My father has been playing with
Mindstorms and with that set and a few spare parts packs from Lego S@H (I
think one gears set and a few beams sets) has been able to build quite a
lot.

If you watch for sales for a while you can also get good deals.  I have a
quite a lot of Technic Lego (enough to build most everything that I want at
this point) and have bought almost all of it for 50% off via sales through
S@H.  The only exceptions are the two Mindstorms sets and Rebel Crusher
(which I bought a few years ago at Toys'r'Us).

I do have one Universal set (the one from 1997ish that came with a Technic
carrying case) and while it was okay I don't think that it was the best set.
If I were buying Lego right now I'd probably pick these sets:
Mindstorms (optional if you can't afford it, but it really is great)
8437 - Future Car (lots of beams, a 2nd differential, a few 24t gears and
others)
8459 - Front End Loader (lots of pneumatics... I don't own it but should)
8417 - Mag Wheel Master (on my list to get the chain)
2129 - Bungee Blaster ($6, has three 16t gears, tires and some good beams...
how can you go wrong)
8232 - Chopper Force (more gears and beams, no tires which is good 'cause
you'll have a lot at this point)
And some S@H parts sets to fill in the pieces

Most of these sets are pretty affordable, with the exception of the Front
End Loader and Mindstorms.

Finally, I wanted to add that I really think it helps to own a fair amount
of Lego before you stop being limited by the parts that you own, even for
building small stuff.  I'm very happy with my collection now (which is
probably about 2x pieces as in the list above) because I can build multiple
models and now feel hindered by running out of gears, axles, beams, or other
essential pieces.  This is very helpful for me when I feel the need to
refine a piece and would like to build a 2nd copy while keeping the first
for reference.  The limited pieces in a Universal set never gave on this
ability.

I also wanted to say that I don't remember there being a lot of Universal
sets when I was a child.  My Expert Builder and Technic sets were 948 (Go
Cart), 950 (Fork Lift), 8032 (a Universal Set), and 8848 (a Power Truck).
The Universal Set is the one that I have the least memories of.

alex

alex