 General / 20398
Re: Has Anyone Joined the Dark Side Yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Schilling writes:
Has anyone received their <set:9754> Dark Side Developer Kit yet?  I did a few
days ago.  The AT-AT is pretty cool.  The articulated knee joints are
incredible...

Can you tell me how they work?  I can see that the upper legs are two parallel
beams, which can control the angle at the knee joint.  But, what operates the
horizontal bar at the top?  It would have to tilt this bar at the same time as
driving one of the upper beams forward - thus bending the knee and swinging
the leg forward - but how?  The picture is too dark to see.

I've built a walking AT-AT that has straight legs.  The top of each leg cranks
round on a medium gear.  There's a horizontal lever pinned to the body at one
end and to the leg at the other end, just below the crank.  This allows the
leg to move up and down, but makes it pivot back and forth to give a longer
stride at the foot end.  I tried making a knee joint, but it locks up when any
weight goes on it.

Jason.