 General / 20338
20337  |  20339
Subject:
Has Anyone Joined the Dark Side Yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:26:27 GMT

Has anyone received their <set:9754> Dark Side Developer Kit yet?  I did a few
days ago.  The AT-AT is pretty cool.  The articulated knee joints are
incredible!  I'm going to have to copy these!  I haven't built any of the
other models, but there are a number of them in the three instruction books.
Some fully detailed, others with only hints given.

This is the first time I've seen so much English in the instructions.  Very
unlike LEGO.  I guess they'll have to provide translations for the various
other languages.

There are a couple of cool new technic parts.  See

First, there's a 4x4 square frame, with the inside 2x2 square missing, great
for holding beveled gears inside of it, though I'm sure there will be many
other uses.  There are three holes on one pair of sides, and only one hole on
the other two sides.

Second, there is a wierd trapezoid piece.  It's base is a 1x4 and has three
holes in it.  A third of a brick higher and one LEGO unit out, on both sides
is another hole.  The piece is 2 2/3 bricks tall, and the top row has three
holes as well, but only two studs on top.

There are also some new colours for some pieces.  The ones that really stood
out were the dark grey beams, rounded beams and various connectors, and the
red gears: 7 red bevel gears, 2 red 16 tooth gears.  There are also several
decorative silver, corogated, flexible tubes - very much like the ones that
will be in the Silver Champion set, I think.

--
  David Schilling