 General / 14800
Re: www.legodirect.com <--- whats going on?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:51:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Yes. Why did this person have to go own the domain instead of it being on
ice directly by TLG? Seems like getting the domain names you need is step 0
in any e-business set up.

Maybe I can shed some light on this.  Suzanne is out of the house at the
moment, but I have a cc of a mail that she wrote to someone who asked about
this on January 3.  Here (below) is  what she wrote...I don't think she'll
mind my posting it here in light of this thread.

Basically, she noticed in December that TLC had forgotten to register
legodirect.com.  Aghast in near-disbelief, and fearing the worst in terms
of embarassments or PR nightmares for TLC, she decided to do something
(anything) about it as quickly as possible to avoid the potential
possibility of a real cyber-squatter grabbing the domain.  Just a couple
months earlier, for example, she had noticed that a porn squatter had grabbed
legopolis.com, which she had relinquished two years earlier and which TLC
was supposed to have assumed control of but didn't.

The InternNIC bill for legodirect.com is sitting on the bureau, unpaid.  I'm
not sure sure whether it'll get paid and be transferred to TLC or simply be
dropped by defaulting on the payment.  AFAIK, she has already tried to cancel
the registration two different ways, to no avail.

--Todd

Here is Suzanne's letter to someone who asked about this on January 3:

Xxxxxx,

Thank you for not posting about this to LUGNET. The information is bound
to be discovered by a fan there soon, but I am hoping that the domain is
transferred to the LEGO Company first.

It was just before the holiday weekend when I was shocked to find out
that LEGO hadn't registered legodirect.com yet. Knowing how some angry
people can act, I feared that someone may soon register legodirect.com
with malicious intent. The whole Brad Justus debate was in full throttle
on LUGNET and after a phone conversation with Brad, I applied for the
registration. I have no intentions of ever using the URL and will
absolutely switch the registration over upon knowledge that TLC wishes
me to.

So, I silently put a hand over the domain with hopes to avoid a hassle
for TLC. It was my own doing. Within hours, I was sorry for involving
myself and tried to undo the process, but it was too late. I don't
expect it'll be in my name for much longer. I am fully prepared for a
"slap" from LEGO for having done what I did. But I honestly had only the
best of intentions.

I understand your concern and I thank you for asking us about this
before jumping to any conclusions of your own.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Rich

p.s. If you feel obligated to contact anyone at LEGO about this, I ask
that you please include my above message.