 General / 13814
Re: Catalog nostalgia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:57:21 GMT

Troy Cefaratti <mnementh@sbase1.com> wrote in message
news:FoGo5x.IxE@lugnet.com...
I think that the difference in the catalogs may be representative of who
Lego seems to be targetting them to, and this is indicative of the market
today.

The older catalogs seem to me to be targetted towards parents, and are • from
a time not so long ago when parents actually chose which sets to get their
children.  (As a kid i do not remember ever asking for a specific set, • just
for "Legos", my mom picked the ones she thought I would like)

Today's catalogs seem to be more geared towards the kids themselves, in a
market where kids often tell their parents EXACTLY what they want.  I kow • my
little brother sure does!  So the catalogs are designed to attract the
childs attention and entice them into wanting more sets.

Good insight here Tony, I agree.  Many of my older catalogs from the 70's
and 80's seem to be speaking to the parents (remember the catalog from
either 75 or 76 which had a whole family on the cover?  There was a lot in
that catalog about how Lego was good for expanding creativity) and trying to
sell them on the educational/creative benefits of Lego.

When I was growing up, I would ask my parents for specific sets that I
wanted (i.e. Galaxy Explorer) but they would only use my wants as a guide
for helping them buy sets for me (no Galaxy Explorer :-( but I did get Main
Street which was quite a surprise).  I guess too many parents are afraid to
disappoint their children by not getting them exactly what they want.  I can
not count the number of times I have been in a Lego aisle along with a
parent and child and the child demands one particular set and refuses any
suggestions by the parent with the result being the child getting what they
want ["holy run-on sentence Batman"].

Unfortunately, I do not see an upward trend in good parenting.

Tim