 General / 13218
  Do you build sets you buy for parts?

When you buy a set for parts (or multiple copies of it) do you always build at least one of the actual model? I may have just bought too many sets in the last few weeks, but I don't really feel like building a 4561 (much less 4 of them, although all (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) If I think a set that I really did buy just for the parts might be a little interesting, I do build it, but only one copy (unless it is used, in which case I try and build to check for completeness - but that's getting way behind). Sets bought (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) Nope. In fact, of the thousands of sets that I've bought, I think I'm still in single digits for the number of sets I've actually built. Off the top of my head they include: The Landspeeder 6078 6090 6086 (bought that used) 6067 4559 Probably (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) Ben, all LEGO sets are merely parts packs for my building! I have an obscene amount of the following that I have mostly1 never built: 6075 - 10 (Yellow Castle), never built a single one. 6382 - 5 (Fire Station), ditto. 760 - 35 (London Bus) (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) I never buy things for the sets -- all of the purchases are for parts. That said, I usually do put together the set first thing, partly as a sort of Lego Ritual. With a lot of technic stuff, I'm glad that I do -- I often learn interesting (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

Ben Jackson wrote in message ... (...) at (...) I always build the model to inventory the extra pieces if for no other reason. Although more and more lately it seems they are getting more accurate with the parts counting. Extra pieces is like (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message news:slrn879tji.ces.....bu.edu... (...) build (...) in (...) less (...) the (...) That (...) I agree. These days I put together technically interesting Technic sets (the only thing that I buy), (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

Out of curiosity, am I one of the few who buy the sets for the sets. I don't typically build to many MOCs, and if I do it is from an old carrying case full of misc. pieces. Also, I store all my sets in their original boxes with instructions. Am I in (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) I'm not sure. There seem to be quite a few people who do both, also. I'm a "sets are parts packs for my MOCs" kinda guy, though. I think the only sets that are staying assembled right now on my shelf are 6067 Guarded Inn, 928 Galaxy Explorer, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

Let me tell you how it works with us younger modelers... whenever I but a Lego set, I ALWAYS build the first (main) model in the instructions, even if it's some small useless set. It simply interestsme to see how all the parts are working together, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

I *only* build the set. I haven't built a MOC in years. I just love the way the sets look. I buy them, build them, let them sit around for awhile, then tear them down and build some of the older ones I may have. I keep all the instructions in (...) (24 years ago, 7-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Mike Reed (<38765204.9B2D0A65@...nces.com>) wrote at 20:52:21 (...) I guess I'm just a crazy, mixed up AFOL. I buy sets because they are cool as sets. But then I take them apart, and add them to the pile. Boxes and instructions (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) No ... I started out collecting all sets in most themes from the early eighties up to the noughties. However the earlier demise of the Wild West theme prompted me to start building MOC's (my own creations). With the appearance of Town-Jr MOC (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) Is now ill... Can you scan the instructions for Basic set 725 and upload them to Brickshelf? I'd like to take a look at them. Thanks, Jim (24 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

No you're not alone in this, Though I fear we are a minority :( I do it a little different though because I do build a lot of MOC's. I buy multiple copies of a set in order to have parts to build with, though one always stays in it's box after it's (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

I used to build all my sets I buy. Then, after a few years, when I hade rebuilt them, lost parts etc. I mixed them in my big bucket. I used to do that way, but now, I buy some sets just for parts. But that is the BASIC sets, like 3040. My Star (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

(...) Don't feel too bad, Mike. I have many sets I built, wanting to change it, make it better, etc. but have not had the time as of yet. I have tons of train stuff that I would love to work on, though. :) Scott S. ___...___ Scott E. Sanburn-> (...) (24 years ago, 10-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

Mike Reed <mreed@csciences.com> wrote in message news:38765204.9B2D0A...ces.com... (...) don't (...) full (...) I don't know about the "minority" part, but although all the sets are part packs to me, I mostly don't buy a set if the featured model (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

teyyareci (Selçuk) wrote in <Fo7r18.F39@lugnet.com>: (...) I do exactly the same, with the addition of: 2a. Decide, if it's cool enough, to leave it up for display for a long time, possibly never breaking it up. (This becomes an exercise in (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Do you build sets you buy for parts?

I have purchased some sets for their parts from resellers. (Don't tell me, let me guess, some of you have, too!) In some instances those sets were not NIB -- usually at my request, as I would rather save shipping costs than receive a box that I'll (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)