 General / 11668
Re: Cats and pigeons...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:08:48 GMT

First off, Huw, I don't think anyone thinks any less of you, certainly not
me.

I am wondering if in a way, Huw caused a positive response from TLC. The
timing of the LEGO Direct announcement is sort of interesting. It almost
seems a reasonable time for hurried conferences amongst the TLC management
chain and with the lawyers, resulting in a decision that now was the time to
come out of the closet in a big way.

Other interesting data points:

- The scuttling of mail order from the outlet store (could this have been
because TLC has bigger plans, and doesn't want to set incorrect expectations
and assumptions of what services might be available)

- The lack of response about the train parts bulk order (it may have caused
wheels inside TLC to churn, along with a decision NOT to do it wrong too
early)

- Closing of several offices. While this falls in with the general belt
tightening, an online ordering system would obviate the need of so many
fulfillment centers (though they will still need facilities in each
geography to enable reasonably quick fulfillment of orders).

- Even the rumors of no more parts packs. If instead, LEGO Direct is going
to offer a more comprehensive parts ordering service, LS@H might very well
discontinue the parts packs, I bet they're a bit of a headache in some ways.
Of course LS@H may not remain as a separate entity.

Conspiracy warning for the following...

I seriously doubt that this would be the case, but what if the scans were
sent to Huw to test the response of the AFOL community? If so, I would say
that we passed the test since Brad is suggesting the use of a Lugnet
newsgroup as an OFFICIAL channel.

On the subject of more official recognition of Lugnet, I can only think that
this has come in part because Todd and Suzanne have shown themselves to be
responsible hosts, balancing the needs of AFOLs and TLC. I also would not be
surprised to hear later that Todd and Suzanne were already in communication
with TLC about these goings on. I can see the sensitivity of this would be
such that they would keep any hints to an extreme minimum (thinking about
it, I can see some things that might well be hints).

One might ask though, if the lines of communication are so open, why didn't
TLC post to Lugnet a request about the scans. Possibilities might include:
Not wanting to look like TLC was running the show or not wanting to spill
the beans.

Frank