 General / 11494
Re: TAN castle walls? It CAN'T be! But what IS it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:03:01 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Tamyra Teed writes:
I believe they were printed in white, though the stone patterns were in
red not grey. I have to admit they look tanish white to me on my screen
also. I'm guessing they have to be grey and it's just a bad bad
picture.  I'd mail the seller if you really needed to know before
possibly placing a bid.

Tamy

Well... I wasn't going to place a bid, unless I KNOW they ARE tan (And I'm
99.98612% sure they're not)... but I am REALLY curious-- mostly because it
doesn't look like they're grey in any way, shape, or form! Usually a bad
picture just looks tan from ONE angle-- but these look tan all over! Underside
and studs included! Do pieces really yellow ALL over? I'd think it would just
be the sun-exposed side (not the underside certainly!) Plus I've never seen
grey pieces yellow THAT much!

I don't really see the issue here.  In my mind they are gray.  The only strange
thing I see is that the person used a flash to take the picture and the effect
made the pieces in the front look tanish.  That in my mind is only because they
were in direct line with the flash.  I have taken many pictures of LEGO both
with and without flash and IMHO a flash works terrible when photographing LEGO
especially close up.

IMO these are all grey and the person just used very poor photographing
techniques.

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Whenever I see one of these "what color is it" issues, it reminds me of when I was
8 years old in1961.  The Samsonite LEGO catalog of that year also had a color
problem (as do a lot of recent LEGO catalogs).  The set in question was the very
first Model kit outside of the Town Plan series (Town Plan was the only LEGO System
from 1955 to the early 60's).  That model kit was 717 Junior Constructor (the early
1961-62 version) pictured here in the Joe Lauher/Bill Katz website.  I couldn't
believe it when I saw this catalog.  As an 8 year old, I was ecstatic that LEGO was
making orange bricks (27 years before they actually did) with yellow doors windows
(which first showed up 5 years later in 1966 as Shell set #325).  Check it out and
see if you agree this should have been orange and yellow:  The set is the box at
the top of the picture:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

The reason I was absolutely sure this was orange/yellow was because other boxes in
the catalog showed white bricks as actually being white.  And to this day, I have
never seen or known about an example of this set.

The very first LEGO hallucinationation,

Gary Istok