 General / 11129
Re: Lego: Toy of the Century! (according to Fortune)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 23:01:06 GMT

Aaron West wrote:

You know, I am trying to do the same thing, inventory.  It takes forever!  I
think I have somewhere *around* 50,000 split between my old stuff at mom +
dads house and here at home.  The problem for me is what are the proper names
of all the bricks?  How do I inventory them so other people know what I mean?
Is there a general guide that tells you what to call an item so that other
people can recognize it, or do I have to create a decoder key?  Can anybody
suggest something, please?

Whenever I add a new bucket to my "master bin," I tend to measure how full it is.
That's how I get my ballpark figure; I assume that my "sorted special pieces"
probably number about 3,000.  The total is probably close to yours, Aaron--I
estimate 35,000-40,000 as a conservative figure, possibly as many as 55,000.  I've
definitely taken over a corner of the basement, and I know I have about 5,000
bricks in unbuilt sets and unparsed buckets on top of that figure.

The workshop is hiding on my page at:
http://www.msu.edu/user/braunli1/ships.html (bottom of index page).
It's been cleaned up a lot since that photo was taken, naturally.  ;)

As for piece nomenclature, I tend to use the AucZILLA designations 995 times out of
1000, if only because Todd is "Apropo-Acronym Friendly".  Life without BURP?  I
don't want to think about it.

Can you believe that I have ZERO trains?

Sure!  I have the same number, and this after collecting since 1977 (with a
five-year "dark age" that unfortunately hit at Blacktron-I and Imperial Guards
time--you know you're in too deep, or not deep enough, when your first answer to
the question "what would you do with a time machine" is "set the clock back to 1990
and buy a whole scad of Lego.").
In Other News, my first Belville set ever arrives from the LIC in VA tomorrow.  My
collection is already cringing at the prospect of its first pink bricks...but at
least they're not Timmies.

best,

Lindsay

---