 General / 11115
Re: Lego: Toy of the Century! (according to Fortune)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:46:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary R. Istok writes:
That would be Conan (don't know his last name, but Larry P. does).  He has 2.3
million.  He is a member of GMLTC, but doesn't participate in LUGNET.  But his
collection is of rather recent vintage, if memory serves me correctly.

The 2.3 million number is an estimate, but the people who did the estimating
are several current and former LEGO 'Model Shop' employees - the people that
work on the big creations you see at LEGOLAND parks, Imagination Centers,
etc...  So, they have a pretty good idea what a million LEGO pieces look
like!  Conan also has a big supply of older sets that he someday wants to
start selling off, to finance more purchases of bricks!

Conan has 'overflow' containers of many elements, we joke that we measure
pieces 'by the gallon'!

The funniest thing is Conan is completely low-key about his collection.  John
Kelly can vouch for this - John was telling Conan how big HIS collection was,
Conan just kept saying "Well, ours is pretty big too".  Then when John first
saw Conan's collection, John was struck speechless - and it takes a LOT to do
that!!

Hopefully someday (yea, you've all heard that already!) the gmltc.org site
will be up and running and you'll be able to see some pictures of our building
space.  I've been building at Conan's house for several years now - it's
amazing to be able to find *hundreds* of a particular element, all sorted out
and ready to build with...

JohnG aka 'John1', GMLTC
  (dump the ".nospam" to reply...)