 General / 10472
Re: It's not my "Dark Ages" but what is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:27:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson writes:
I've been mostly lurking in LUGNet since its inception and came to know the
term "Dark Ages" as it is commonly used here.  Well, I'm not in a Dark Ages,
but I'm in some kind of funk, LEGO-wise.  I can't seem to sit down and build
anything original.  Most of my time with LEGO is either virtual (L-Draw,
etc.) or in attempting to build someone else's L-Draw creation.  I spend
inordinate amounts of time organizing my bricks so when that really cool post
comes along I can find all the bricks I need to build it.  I'm starting to get
bummed -- almost like writer's block!

<grim smile>  Almost exactly so, and well-known in the comp. sci. end of
the world as well-- architect's/coder's block.  There are simply some
days when, for the life of me, I -cannot- translate the user specs or
requirements into anything that looks/feels like it can be coded, let alone
released and maintained.  If I get the DFD/ERD/whatever done and sense-checked,
there are other days when I cannot get a line of SQL or PL/SQL to work.

Yes, it happens to anyone that is a creative person, no matter the genre
or medium.

So, what would you suggest this stage be called.  Maybe the Plagiarist Ages?
Or Bricker's Block?

Builder's Block, perhaps?

Cheers,

Roger