 General / 10591
Re: It's not my "Dark Ages" but what is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:00:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Culberson writes:
I found that lots of time spend organizing bricks reduced my non-virtual
inspiration as well.

My suggestion:  buy a $20-30 set and build an alternate model.  One of the
panelists at MindFest had a great quote, something to the effect that the
limitations of "form" actually enhance creativity.  By limiting myself to • the
pieces in one set, I had to be more creative in using those pieces.  It's • been
fun recently buying the McDonalds sets and building alternates--talk about
limitations.

Hmmm.....this just made me think of an exercise I did one time for fun.

Before when I had all of my LEGO (see my post "very long super ramble for the
reason why I don't have my LEGO), I used to keep it all just in a big • rubbermaid
tub - no sorting at all, just mixed in together.  One day after I had been
building for quite a long time, and all of the LEGO was back in the bucket for • the
day, I was just sitting there staring at it.  After a bit, I just reached in • and
grabbed two handfuls of pieces without looking and forced myself to build
something and I had to use ALL of the pieces (remember, EVERYTHING was • included, I
could have got some plain bricks, some plates, headlights, parts of minifigs • or
maybe even a whole minifig, etc).  I think that I did allow myself to always • have
one baseplate on hand as a starting point if I wished.  It was actually very
inspiring.  Sure, anything that I built looked like a goldfish made it, but it
forced me to think about what I was going to do with the pieces to make it awe
inspiring.  Later on, I did the same thing over again only my brother was with
me.  Within the simple set of defined rules, we both had to take the same • amount
of pieces and see which creation turned out better.  It was actually quite • fun.
Maybe you could try something like this.  It might sound really dumb, but it
really make you look at your LEGO pieces in different ways.

-Tim Culberson

I've often thought it would be fun to throw a party and just have the big
Rubbermaid tub-o-legos out on the coffee table, just to see what my
non-lego-geek friends and family would come up with.

James