 General / 10590
Re: It's not my "Dark Ages" but what is it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:57:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, John VanZwieten writes:

James Wilson <j_wilson.plateletlab@usa.net> wrote in message
I've been mostly lurking in LUGNet since its inception and came to know the
term "Dark Ages" as it is commonly used here.  Well, I'm not in a Dark Ages,
but I'm in some kind of funk, LEGO-wise.  I can't seem to sit down and build
anything original.  Most of my time with LEGO is either virtual (L-Draw,
etc.) or in attempting to build someone else's L-Draw creation.  I spend
inordinate amounts of time organizing my bricks so when that really cool • post
comes along I can find all the bricks I need to build it.  I'm starting to • get
bummed -- almost like writer's block!

So, what would you suggest this stage be called.  Maybe the Plagiarist Ages?
Or Bricker's Block?

I found that lots of time spend organizing bricks reduced my non-virtual
inspiration as well.

My suggestion:  buy a $20-30 set and build an alternate model.  One of the
panelists at MindFest had a great quote, something to the effect that the
limitations of "form" actually enhance creativity.  By limiting myself to the
pieces in one set, I had to be more creative in using those pieces.  It's been
fun recently buying the McDonalds sets and building alternates--talk about
limitations.

-John Van

No kidding, John.  Especially when all they've got is one set!  That was a
helper, though.  Sitting in McD's playing with 4 copies of one of the sets
while the kids played on the playscape was good for the soul.

James