 General / *900 (-20)
  Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

(...) Sure, I'm still willing to do it. :) It would give me an excuse to take my digicam to work and snap a bunch of shots. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) OK, fair enough. What I meant by it not being designed as a barrier was that its original intent was not to be a barrier, even though in practice it is of course a small barrier. I hate to see it tossed about AS a barrier as if that were its (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) ^^^...^^^ (...) Interesting... OK, so there are still probably quite a few people out there who don't read RTL regularly enough to have noticed that there are specialized newsgroups here... And (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote: <snip> (...) This would be a good thing. I'd say it ought to just present the facts in a fairly dry way. All the "evangelists" would have a copy and just post it in reply. I could take a swag, I guess. (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It's my perception anyway, I have heard many people saying that they no longer post to RTL. (...) Well not if RTL was used instead of lugnet.general (but as has been said they have different purposes), then LUGNET people would still post to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It would mean the ability to crosspost to lugnet.* groups, yes -- but only for those people who have gone through the news posting setup at: (URL) other words, only the people who have succesfully crossed Larry's gate/ barrier would be allowed (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) But, requiring people to reveal true names, and to be civil IS a barrier. A good barrier, and one 98% (1) of the community will have no difficulty crossing. Call it a filter if you will. But it's a filter I wish maintained. I prefer not to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Bring Your Minifig To Work Day

Bring Your Minifig To Work Day is coming up soon -- I think it's supposed to be on Friday, December 11 this year. That date also happens to be Mike Stanley's birthday, and he agreed a few months ago to accept a collection of minifigs by mail and (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman skrev i meddelandet <3660932d.30465790@l...et.com>... (...) If it would mean _better_ coverage of all messages, I'm all for it (I _very_ often see answers to messages that doesn't show up until the next day - or never) I think You can (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New LEGO Newsgroups!!

(...) [...] (...) The vast majority of people won't have those groups, at least I hope not. The official usenet hierarchies aren't quite as chaotic as alt. These were probably created either by someone being ignorant or being silly. (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ^^^^^^^^ durrr. That should say "would not" -- it would not be _moved_ here, just carried here. --Todd (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Let me state that a slightly different way -- It is not supposed to be a place for a few select people to congregate and behave in a way that is natural for them (which just happens to be civil). It is supposed to be a place for everyone to (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Yes, 100% correct -- it would mean no change to RTL whatsoever, except perhaps crossposting in headers, which I'm beginning to think is inescapable in the long-term due to the way caching NNRP servers work. Anyway, yes, anyone could still read (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) You may be 100% right, before I tackle any of those questions, I need to come to a better understanding of section 202 of the new Digital Millenium Copyright Act of the 105th Congress. It deals with limitations on liabilities for Internet (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <366163a8.4473573@lu...et.com>... (...) <snipped most of the discussion.....> (...) I'm not sure about this. I really enjoyed RTL for some time, did some good trades, and shared a joke or two. I don't even look there (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd, Could you clarify technically what you mean by hosted on this server? I think there is some confusion. I understand that you are trying to investigate the social implications, but I think everyone needs to understand what would happen (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Todd, I am new to the newgroup, but have been using RTL extensively for some time. The only way I found out about this set of newgroups was a post on RTL that mentioned them. Active recruitment in RTL would be essential to bring new members (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  RTL on Lugnet

Heya all ! I can't post new mails on RTL since one week ago. I don't know where's the problem but I guess that RTL SHOULD be a host on Lugnet. Both (RTL & Lugnet) are cool ! Thanx. Rene (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Here goes, but I'd like to hear some response from you on whether you agree with my technical comments (about article expiration and content based verification, specifically) or not. :-) Note that due to size I am putting footnotes on the same (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think it would be best -- if RTL were offered -- to offer it in its entirety unchanged. There seem to be quite a few HTML postings there (like maybe 5 a week or more) and I don't think it's possible to educate Usenet newbies about (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact