 Gaming / Starship / 619
Re: RulesTalk: Probes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 02:07:25 GMT

The following is forward to .gaming.starship from SM/Player Avery Christy:

Hello GM,

I recently read a new thread on the Lugnet message board pertaining to the probes I sent out. Due to the schedule of events unfolding in the sector, I am operating as if the probes have left and are en route to their destinations.

I totally agree that the community, which has not come across this situation, needs to be alerted and a consensus taken, ideas heard. I did not think of this when I started, and thought that I had covered my bases.

I did not register the probes because they have no crew, and are totally expenable (I seriuosly hope that my ships with crews will not be expendable). If a SM does not wish these probes to enter their sector, for whatever reason, then “accidents” do happen as the old saying goes. These probes were meant to be story impetus, motivators, and not to be some sort of spy thingy. Again, reason why not to register them. There is full detailed info about these probes for the benefit of other SM’s on my web site.

I noticed that one SM requested system failures, I have granted that wish. The A.I. of the probes has been severly limited to the point that they are almost a hazard to themselves. The probes are also more of space Hubble multi telescope type of things, not meant for espionage work. However, even that might reveal some SM’s secrets. Another thing, these probes are not equipped to transpond their locations, so if that causes concern against a SM’s sector rules, then “accidents” do happen as the old saying goes.

I wish to be a member of the community, a member who plays by the rules. I thought I was being innovative, perhaps I was being ahead of myself. Again, these were mostly for story impetus, as you know that one of the probes is heading for an unmanned sector. On my web site, Chapter 1 reveals the whole reason about that, (story starter). That probe will serve its purpose and fade away.

Please feel free to post these re-assurances to the other members of the game on the Lugnet message board. I am not here to start trouble, just to have fun.

Avery Christy (SM Gul Avel)