 Gaming / Starship / 613
RE: RulesTalk: Probes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 02:07:59 GMT

I think that this is a good idea...I would like to see some limitations or
restrictions on what they might be able to see or even a "system failure"
possibility.  As we all know, several SM's have a mystery in their sector,
Sending in a probe could ultimately unravel someone's story line with not
much game play.  Maybe the probes should be programmed with a destination
and launched but no major navigation could occur (in Star Trek, probes are
more like torpedoes) this could help the SM's preserve the mystery.

I feel that they should not be registered, just regulated.

Jeff

www.jlshawwebdesign.com
www.jlshawwebdesign.com/dac - The Dsibani Alliance Core Site
www.jlshawwebdesign.com/dacsector - DAC Forums

"I'm not dumb, I'm just gullible" - My 10yr old daughter.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Hendo (John P. Henderson)
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 7:39 PM
To: lugnet.gaming.starship@lugnet.com
Subject: RulesTalk: Probes

Here's an interesting question...

A player has emailed the GM requesting that his home sector send out a
number of
"Long Range Deep Space Probes."  (The player is also an SM.)  He has
provided
stats including high sensors and zero weapons.  And these probes have no
crew.
They don't have any crew-like robots either, just some communications drones
relay data back to their home.  But these probes are capable of (and
intending)
inter-sector travel.  Are these or are these not "Ships" by terms of
Starship
rules?

Previously, any discussion of the rules dictated that anything that travels
between sectors must be a registered Ship (for game mechanics).  Even a
starbase
being towed or tractor-beamed to another sector would be a Ship and take up
slots against the players allotment.  NPC Ships that remain only in their
SM's
sectors do not need to register or count against totals.  Craft, smaller
vessels
incapable of inter-sector travel on their own, can be registered for
reference
but do not count against totals.  But this probe idea is new, and without
crew
or artificial intelligence, are they really Ships according to Starship?

I personally like the probe idea.  And my initial reaction is to let it
slide
without registration.  However, perhaps we can enforce that an image of a
brick
model be available for each probe style?

What does everyone think?

-GM Hendo
---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.