 Gaming / Starship / 616
Re: RulesTalk: Probes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:37:23 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
What does everyone think?

If automated, that would have to be stated as well--for
example, in my sector, sending such a probe would very likely
be the equivalent of tossing it in a black hole.  But I do
think it needs to be a registered Ship if it wants to go
hopping about inter-Sector.

I think the reason I would vote in favor of not registering is the very thing
you hint at in your first comment here.  Probes are (or should be) rather
disposable.  (The player who want to use them currently has a write up with pics
that say they are for one time use only...although like craft he can build an
infinite number of them we let him.)  I don't know too many people who will want
to take up vital slots in the registry for a vessel that they intend to use only
once.  And if each use requires re-registration to use another, then the
Galactic Chief (Richard) will have more work than I think he should.

As my brain storms, I will concede that some regulations will be required to
allow probes.  I'm thinking they should never be allowed to have weapons, armor,
or crew.

I may need to ask about "mystery ships" travelling inter-
sector, in a related vein; I have a ship whose travel may
begin, but whose specific nature and purpose may not be
known until it arrives at its destination.  I'm not sure how
such a thing is handled...

Yes, the "fog of war" that SMs have reaches only as far as their own sectors.
The current rules make it virtually impossible to hide certain secrets of a Ship
from the view of other players.  However, technically that is an Out Of
Character fact.  In Character, one could argue, knowledge of Ship details is not
always something that is widely shared.  For example, Player Hendo knows that
Player Richard's HES Sirius has only medium weapons; but IC, Commander Magisoto,
when he first encountered the Sirius, assumed that she must be more powerful
than his Terrorformer because afterall the latter is "such an old and outdated
crate by comparison".

Other than that sort of OOC vs IC honor, there are two other means of
maintaining the mystery.  What I like to do is to not reveal the secrets of some
of my characters/ships until they are revealed in-game in my own sector.  Only
thereafter will I register and venture forth with the secret being known
publicly.  The other way to go is to register directly to me and Richard only by
email.  As GM, I'll need nothing more than Propulsion ability.  And then you can
cross your fingers that no one bothers to look at the registry that Richard sets
up until after your secret is revealed.  (Naturally, this latter plan doesn't
have much security.)

-GM Hendo