 Gaming / Starship / 617
Re: RulesTalk: Probes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 01:11:46 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
   Here’s an interesting question...

-snip some-

Previously, any discussion of the rules dictated that anything that travels between sectors must be a registered Ship (for game mechanics). Even a starbase being towed or tractor-beamed to another sector would be a Ship and take up slots against the players allotment. NPC Ships that remain only in their SM’s sectors do not need to register or count against totals. Craft, smaller vessels incapable of inter-sector travel on their own, can be registered for reference but do not count against totals. But this probe idea is new, and without crew or artificial intelligence, are they really Ships according to Starship?

I personally like the probe idea. And my initial reaction is to let it slide without registration. However, perhaps we can enforce that an image of a brick model be available for each probe style?

What does everyone think?

-GM Hendo

Well, I think the following:
  • Probes should only be allowed to send data, not interact with things. For instance, if it sees a valuable artifact or something, it must send the data back. It cannot go ahead and try to take the artifact. The player is then forced to register a ship to come and get the artifact if (s)he wants it.

  • Probes should either be with nothing except sensors or explode (or something similar) after a certain amount of IC time.

  • Also, the SM should be able to kill the probe off, so-to-say, after a few emails, because automated probes are unreliable and seem to drift off and hit debris or go through black holes and such, so the SM should make little stories for the probe after awhile.
Just my few cents.

-Dan