 Gaming / Starship / 614
Re: RulesTalk: Probes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:49:36 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson wrote:
Here's an interesting question...

A player has emailed the GM requesting that his home sector send out a number of
"Long Range Deep Space Probes."  (The player is also an SM.)  He has provided
stats including high sensors and zero weapons.  And these probes have no crew.
They don't have any crew-like robots either, just some communications drones to
relay data back to their home.  But these probes are capable of (and intending)
inter-sector travel.  Are these or are these not "Ships" by terms of Starship
rules?

Previously, any discussion of the rules dictated that anything that travels
between sectors must be a registered Ship (for game mechanics).  Even a starbase
being towed or tractor-beamed to another sector would be a Ship and take up
slots against the players allotment.  NPC Ships that remain only in their SM's
sectors do not need to register or count against totals.  Craft, smaller vessels
incapable of inter-sector travel on their own, can be registered for reference
but do not count against totals.  But this probe idea is new, and without crew
or artificial intelligence, are they really Ships according to Starship?

I personally like the probe idea.  And my initial reaction is to let it slide
without registration.  However, perhaps we can enforce that an image of a brick
model be available for each probe style?

What does everyone think?

   My two cents (quickly--we've had a bit of craziness here
   so I'm late on SM emails, my work, and EVERYTHING) are that
   probes should be fine, if they are registered as ships--with
   brick models, images, the works.  And it must be up to the
   SMs visited what the probes will see and be able to do; the
   capabilities must be spelled out quite specifically by the
   player to allow the SM to make necessary allowances.

   If automated, that would have to be stated as well--for
   example, in my sector, sending such a probe would very likely
   be the equivalent of tossing it in a black hole.  But I do
   think it needs to be a registered Ship if it wants to go
   hopping about inter-Sector.

   I may need to ask about "mystery ships" travelling inter-
   sector, in a related vein; I have a ship whose travel may
   begin, but whose specific nature and purpose may not be
   known until it arrives at its destination.  I'm not sure how
   such a thing is handled...

   all best

   LFB