 Gaming / 1658
  Text-based Adventures

Anyone every played 'em? Text-based adventures caught my attention last week when I visited the Homestar Runner website ((URL) Strong Bad answered an email about what he would be like in a game, blah, blah... And at the end of it, the website's (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Make a map for yourself. Be clever. Be complete. Know your subject. Be funny and amusing. If you decide to do graphics, for heaven's sake don't have multiple characters that you have to simultaneously have to manipulate and figure out all the (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Ah, Colossal Cave Adventure. Still one of the greatest computer games of all time. Back in the days before frame rates and polygon counts dictated what made a "good" game. Back when most of the action happened in the mind's eye. If you're (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Did you look in the direction of DENNIS???? (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

go NOT DENNIS (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Thanks for the input, guys. I'll keep those tips in mind. I've had only limited experience directly related to TBG's, but I think I can use some of my Starship and CCA experience (URLs, respectively: (URL) especially for that last suggestion, (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Ahh, Colossal Cave - an interesting experiment that actually started off as a map of part of Mammoth Cave. I was playing with text adventure games a few years ago. There are some nice tools out there, including some incredible reverse (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) This works especially nicely when there's multiple ways to solve the various problems -- if, instead of carrying water in a jar one can trick the sky king into making it rain, and instead of keeping the barefoot elves out one can give them (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) I may have missed the boat on Scott Adams, but the only text-ish adventures of his that I ever played were those Marvel Comics "Questprobe" games, which I found, let us say, disappointing. Were there other good ones that I didn't get to play? (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Scott Adams created (or licensed) a set of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text-based adventure games that were not quite as humorous as the books and not quite as good as Zork or Colossal Cave. Mainly because these games had a strict (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) (URL) (you'll need advent.pl and advent.dat, which is unchanged from the original). You'll also probably need an antiquated version of Perl - I wrote that on an old Sun box, running Perl 4 point something. ROSCO (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Woah, wrong Adams. Wow, this whole discussion belongs on .geek. :) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Uh, yeah... DOUG Adams. I think I meant Douglas. Never heard of Scott Adams, I'm afraid. Or was that Morticia Addams? (...) At least until this post! - Chris. (Feeling rather foolish for not remembering the name of one of my favorite sci-fi (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) There is a Scott Adams that does the Dilbert comic... (URL) comic used to be wildly funny to me, but I'm finding it less funny lately. Must be that my sample size of office environments that match its setting, more or less, has gotten too (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) I think it's objectively less funny. The schtick is worn out and tired. (20 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

Andrew, I'm no expert, but I love text adventures! They take me back to the day, back when the Apple II was THE computer and you felt horror when your little blip was eaten by another little blip. All my friends in high school were into creating (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Text-based Adventures

(...) Kids today... The various Zorks were all great. Infocom generally did the best of the text adventure games - the fiendish Babel-Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide is one of the great classics of text adventures. The Scott Adam's adventures (not (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)