 Off-Topic / Fun / 10590
Re: Text-based Adventures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:00:38 GMT

Chris Phillips <drvegetable@attbi.com> wrote:
One unwritten rule about adventure games is the "one object one use"
rule. For example, if you find a ring of keys, there is usually only one
place where you need to use it. I have always thought that this "rule"
needed to be broken, but in a very non-obvious way. Not: "oh, another
locked door, I'll just whip out the key ring again" but as "I already
used the jar to carry water, now I smash it on the floor so the barefoot
elves can't follow me into the maze..."

This works especially nicely when there's multiple ways to solve the
various problems -- if, instead of carrying water in a jar one can trick
the sky king into making it rain, and instead of keeping the barefoot
elves out one can give them shoes and make them friendly. Or whatever.
This makes the whole world feel more realistic -- it's not just a series
of puzzles where one mcguffin can be substituted for another, but rather a
model of a three-dimensional world with real inhabitants and objects.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>