 Off-Topic / Fun / 10610
Re: Text-based Adventures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:06:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Kids today.  They act like they never saw Colossal Cave, Zork, Scott Adams...
;-)

I may have missed the boat on Scott Adams, but the only text-ish adventures of
his that I ever played were those Marvel Comics "Questprobe" games, which I
found, let us say, disappointing.  Were there other good ones that I didn't get
to play?

Dave!

Kids today...

The various Zorks were all great.  Infocom generally did the best of the text
adventure games - the fiendish Babel-Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide is one of
the great classics of text adventures.  The Scott Adam's adventures (not to be
confused with the Dilbert author of Douglas Adams as has been done further down
the thread) were real creaky, primitive parser games usually on tape (not even
floppy), but since it was the early days of computer gaming, you just played and
didn't worry about it too much.  They are probably floating around out there on
the net somewhere...

-->Bruce<--