 Dear LEGO / 795
Re: "If it were my toy company..."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:51:09 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Matthew Miller writes:
Ray Sanders <rsanders@gate.net> wrote:
Or to put a different way: Are the molds (that were used originally to
make those parts) compatible with the current state of the art molding
machines used by TLC ? A negative answer would imply the need to make
whole new molds.

But that doesn't seem prohibitive to me anyway. They're certainly inventing
new pieces all the time these days, and that takes new molds. And at least
they'd still have the basic engineering done for retro pieces.

One reason that LEGO is constantly inventing new pieces is to make
sure that as many elements in a LEGO set are patent-protected.  The
re-released old sets would not have that advantage.

I wouldn't mind if they modified the sets to make them take
advantage of new elements, as long as the spirit of the original
set was preserved.  They could offer a Guarded Inn II that was
at least as nifty and neat as the original.  It might even have
more tudor-castle-wall pieces, if LEGO figures out that's one
of the things people like about that set.

--

jthompson@esker.com