 Dear LEGO / 3557
Re: foo!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:20:32 GMT

Hi Richard -

"richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GMJ85G.9KB@lugnet.com...

And you think there are ways to get through to them that work?  Do tell...

My thoughts are - just keep persistent at the constructive criticism.  Allan
mentioned that he was committed to whining and complaining until something
happened.  I'm not against whining, I just discourage harsh criticism.

Promote AFOL events, build up the AFOL community - the larger we get, the
more we'll have to be reconed with.  Can we say LEGOWORLD's 40,000 people,
idea originated with the FANS? :-)

And, don't you think they deserve some thanks for what they've done for • us so >far?

Yes, and I have given such thanks over the Guarded Inn, for example.  Of
course the devil is in the details -- I wasn't quite as pleased to • actually
receive the poorly printed elements.  At the price, it's a great bargain
even so.

Ok.  I haven't picked one up yet (I know I know, don't wanna hear it) ;-)
but will when I get the money.  Print quality IS a big concern - am I
mistaken in my assumption that it would cost them less to beef up the
quality of printing, rather than replace the printed parts when a bad set
ships?

I am just calling them as I see them.  Take an old window freak like Istok
(are there two Istoks?)

One Istok.

or some other hardcore fan of the brick, and they
are doing diddly for him.  I had the good fortune to see these kinds of
windows for the first time in the flesh/abs last night -- and there are SO
VERY COOL!  If I had these windows when I was very young, and I probably
did, I had forgotten.

Classic windows rock, and they have many uses.  But, I think there are other
parts that more people can use,  that would be better to put in bulk first
though.  (Its early, I'm on little sleep, I won't try to rack my brain to
think of them)

Such is the thing that very same person I visited with last night, the one
who showed me the windows, also sold me some Thatcher Perkins style wheels
for what was probably a charity like price considering I have actually • been
scanning for them for a few weeks online and getting zilch.  They are SO
VERY COOL!  Some people, and I include myself before last night, have no
idea what they are missing.  TLC sits atop a mountain of gold (in older
designs) like a big stupid king kong who doesn't know what to do with his
riches.

Yup, they do.  It may surprise you (then again it may not) that I am often
angry to the point of yelling and screaming at LEGO.  I just don't believe
that its the way to get the message across when actually dealing _with_
them.

Of course I find this frustrating. Don't we all?

I'm intimidated by your use of those names.  Please stop. <grin>

I wasn't trying to intimidate you -- it's my understanding you know some • of
those people personally whereas I do not.

LOL!!!  Well, I was being sarcastic (very).  Guess I didn't mark my sarcasm
it well enough (I thought the <grin> was sufficient) :-D

I've met all of them several times, and some of them I know better than
others.  Steve and Dan are HUGE LDraw contributors too, so I know them
better and work with them often on LDraw developments.

It IS the case that Todd Lehman
personally invited me here to Lugnet (much to his regret no doubt) and I
will abide by his requests. He banned me for a time from this very • newsgroup
some time ago when things got a little too heated -- regrettable things • were
said and a grand time was had by all.  Still, I don't want to piss off the
one guy who invited me here -- especially when he is probably a great guy • (I
don't know him in real life) and Lugnet is sort of his sandbox (in • addition
to being the sandbox of some others previously mentioned). If he tells me • to
tone it down, I will. No joke.

Aah, understood.  My apologies, I took your above comments in the same tone
as I perceived the rest of your message, so I considered them to be a slight
at me.  No worries, all's well.

[For historical purposes I present you with:
1. what I think might be my first lugnet post:
http://news.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=462 and not much has changed in two
years, still no true "bulk bricks" have come our way -- nor have many • other
desirable things.

No, and I've repeatedly said that my big criticism of LEGO Direct is the
lack of an expanded bulk selection and more colors on some of the things
they have :-)

BTW - you had some good content in that post, I just think a few things,
'TLG can now either hire me or bite me,' 'current CEO and apparent corpse,'
push the message over the edge.  Really, if you were KKK, would you listen
to those comments?

2. probably the most scathing thing ever posted in any of these newsgroups
was posted by Todd himself here: • http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=27349 --
I still think Todd has it nailed. Which is sad. His post was what I was
obliquely referencing in my "golden parchute" joke. You started that • thread,
Tim.]

Yeah, I remember that one.  I'm not sure what to think of the idea though.
But, that won't stop me from being one heck of a promoter of the AFOL
community and doing the stuff I already do to promote the hobby.  Only
benefit can come from growing the community in the long run.

Feel free to ignore me.

No one ignores you out of hand, Tim.  You seem a likable, usually kind
fellow.  Anyway, I am actively engaging you in a conversation.

Which I appreciate :-)  I honestly didn't expect this reply from you.

I think you
might have misunderstood the tenor of my comments directed at you.  I LIKE
other lugnuts -- I certainly don't dislike many of them, that's for sure.

Yeah, I did misunderstand your comments directed at me.  Anyways, its all
good.

O, I certainly vote with my dollars.  I just think my votes are throw-away
votes...I don't think my currently 8 GI sets mean much to Brad and the • boys,
although I guess it all adds up.  All the money I spend on the lego
aftermarket adds up too.  Thats money TLC doesn't get.  Nor does Lego
Direct.

...and you're getting the parts YOU want then, not just the parts they
choose to offer.  I'm sure they could help themselves by producing those
parts NEW and making them available bulk.

[For a larf I added up my ebay, brickbay, private deals spending for the
last 30 days or so and it comes to about $400 -- which is sadly probably
about average for me -- maybe a little high. Good lord, what am I doing!!!
Note to self: get more contract work for November.]

I've been buying the disappearing tubs recently (I'm at 11, which is good
for me), and not buying more because my job has become slow (commission -
sometimes it rocks, other times it doesn't) and I have to be dilligent with
paying my computer.  I *wish* I could spend more on LEGO...

And I didn't just say "you suck" -- I stated my reasons.  Just saying "you
suck" would have been most impolite.  Having reasons I think softens the • blow.
=oP

What would that be, the difference in softness between grass and AstroTurf?
;-)

<gdr>

Still, I get more than one "atta boy" privately every time I post some
over-emotional, quasi-psychotic rant directed at TLC.  I think those few
voices actually represent the voices of many.  I guess there is some kind • of
phenomena like "internet shyness" at work that makes perfect numbers of
assent hard to calculate.

I'm not surprised.  For every one person who posts here there's gotta be 10+
people lurking behind him/her.  And, I have a lot of the same feelings about
LEGO, I just don't say them.

Applying that sentiment to community building, it would be cool to develop
some placement on LUGNET pages that encourages people to start posting
instead of just lurking, or at the least get involved in a local club.
Something like 'You're missing out!  Don't just read everything, get
involved!  Here's how...'  -- some thoughts of mine in my 3+ year struggle
to get an organized club in Chicago (a very large metropolitan area which is
bound to have many AFOLs).  Recently, we formed the Northern Illinois LEGO
Train Club.

-Tim