 Dear LEGO / 3546
Re: Lego hostility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:40:50 GMT

Seems like a lot of hostility over mostly trivial stuff.  Not that I
disagree with many of the opinions - I just don't see a justification for
the vehemence of them.

Bruce

In lugnet.lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
Every time I take down my rabid Angriest Lego Collector in the World page I
find new reasons to regret that decision.  This time, rather than shock and
stupefy you with pictures of my mug on an ugly webpage I have decided to
take it upon myself to enumerate some of the reasons that...

...TLC *STILL* Sucks!
(as if there were any doubts)

Because:

1.  TLC doesn't release bricks for which they ACTUALLY have the molds in
readiness:

1x2x2 windows in a variety of colors

Window frames, shutter, hinges in all basic colors (also black, as before)

2x2x3 steep corner slopes (double convex) in a variety of colors (a basic
architectural need -- like I was going to blow $50 USD on getting just two
of these in dark grey from #7184.  Dream on, Kristiensen!)

Straight and corner spindle fencing in a variety of colors (black! could we
get some black corners, please?)

1x2x2 1/2 (approx.) arched windows in a variety of colors (but esp. yellow,
black, and brown)

Bricks, slopes, plates, and tiles, of all kinds in all colors.

grey treasure chests (because I am sure I am not alone in having my fill of
brown, hot pink, and clear ones -- thanks, but maybe you guys could make
something I might actually want now?!)

Cypress trees (Don't lie to me Justus, I am on to your manipulation of the
facts, Baby! Don't pretend the molds don't exist...)

Flowers (okay, so the GI set has two sets -- gimme more!)

2. TLC doesn't make bricks they way they used to (and they should, of course):

1x1x1 windows in at least the basic colors

1x1x2 windows in at least the basic colors

1x2x3 windows and doors in at least the basic colors (not because
minifigures actually fit through them, but because they can be used for
structures in the background where one is merely hinting at functionality)

Unique theme elements for Castle, Space, and Train (classic castle visors,
pitchforks, space helmets, space walls, large spoke wheels, train rods, etc.)

3. TLC manufactures toy lines that are not a part of system:

Creator(s) choose System and Technic.

Jack Stone dead.

Bionickles will not get you cab fare.

4.  TLC never delivered on the promise of "system", or "system within system."

(Please see: http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2577)

It's "Kjeld's Way" or the highway, children!"

5.  TLC doesn't really listen to us anyway.

Don't believe it? Read: http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2572 where
Jeff Thompson states: "My observation is the last large Pirate ship was
similarly slow to move, requiring deep clearance to move.  (I got mine for
$20, I think.)  I think I recall the Islander sets being similarly sluggish."

What do we get on pages 8-9 of the current S@H catalogue?  You guessed it:
RBR, Islanders, and those damned Spaniards!  It's certainly better than
nothing, and other current products can't touch these sets, but is this what
we really wanted first out the gate for classic pirate?  Methinks I smell a
cache of old stock rather than a re-release.

I have warned you before TLC -- only you can stop the horror!

-- Hop-Frog (the mighty, froggy, engineer of TLC's doom!)

BTW, I was just kidding about the bankruptcy part, but you wouldn't know it
from some of TLC's slick (hah!) business decisions.

P.S. SWAGGER