 Dear LEGO / 1988
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tom Stangl writes:
And bringing up S@H to support your THEORIES (fantasies) is a bad practice
anyways.  I can tell you from experience that there have been several times
that I have listed the S@H Specials and seen a set that has TONS in stock
disappear by the end of the week or much earlier.  And not from one person
buying it all up (though I'm sure that happens), most of the time it is
dozens of Lugnetters/RTLers calling in and ordering small orders.  I get
questions from RTL and Lugnet about equally on the S@H Specials, so there are
a LOT of people using that info.

Its not about missing the deal, or who got what.  I have stated this several
times.  My comments were about TLC policies or lack thereof and giving fans
equal access to out of production stock.  That's it.  If you think this is
about some specific, anecdotal case -- you are dead wrong.  Moreover, my
comments originated with a hypothetical and not specific instances.  I even
changed the subject line of the thread to take it out of the context of a
specific case. How much more was I supposed to do to avoid particularizing my
comments?

All the rest of the mud-slinging is just icing on the cake.  If you yahoos
want to fight -- go for it.  I am up for it and i won't back down.  I just
hope that TLC is taking notes and taking names about who never to consider for
the job of redistributing bulk orders.  You guys have serious attitude
issues.

I did not disparage anyone by name at any time.  If you select yourself in for
inclusion, as Frank has done, its not my fault.  Fine, Frank wants to think of
himself as an "elitist have" -- no complaints from me -- but I didn't say that
about him.  Why can't you fellows stick to the argument and not all of this ad
hominem stuff?

It occurs to me that ad hominem attacks are all you have left, because all I
was asking for was simple fairness in access to old stock.  I would have
thought it was a point that no one would contest.  The fact that you do
contest it so ferociously suggests to me that the few have indeed long been
favored and want to keep it that.  Yes, that's a supposition -- but its
written all over your responses to my rather small request to TLC.

Everyone has their two cents in here.  Todd thinks that outlets stores are an
attempt to stem the "bleeding."  Maybe.  I thought they showed a profit in the
many millions last year.  No?  I admit that now is not the time for TLC to
drop the ball on remaining a viable business.  So maybe the outlets are a good
idea.  But bricks and mortar cost money just like subsuming shipping costs
through S@H.  Who knows which is more profitable?  TLC is silent on this
subject so if you have an opinion -- its an OPINION!

I note that this week's S@H phone specials included the Imperial Flagship
#6271.  Apparently some people got in on this deal.  I hope it was the many
and not just the few (Tom?).  That has been my ONLY point.  I happen to have
an Imperial Flagship, so the fact that I missed out is of no consequence.  I
just hope that other fans that don't even have that first one were able to
pick it up.  MISB at $55 is a great deal.  Having looked up what it was, I
wish the Nebual Outposts had been offered this week too, instead of just all
of them being handed over to Larry P.  I happen to not have even one, and
obtaing one would have been nice for me.

The S@H Phone Specials are listed by Mike Stanley and Tom Stangl -- and at
this point it looks like its Tom's baby.  I think this is a generous gesture
on the part of these guys -- and I never said it wasn't.  I just wonder why
TLC doesn't set this up on its own site so that everyone can log in at 7 am on
Monday morning and see what is being offered this week.  That way there would
be no favoritism.

Fairness is all I wanted.  The people who freaked out about it must want
something else.

-- Richard