 Dear LEGO / 1791
Re: Palm Tree Junior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:49:52 GMT

Richard Franks wrote in message ...
I remember playing with my first tree and thinking how fabulous it was, • that
wasn't LEGO a great toy because it was inventive and managed to create a • tree
from the most unlikely looking bits. Then I had fun bending them and • shaping
them to my will.. used the leaves to make other scenary, made tall trees,
shorter trees, trees with 8 leaves etc.

- the old tree is
everything LEGO should stand for (playability, quality, creativity), the • new
tree is everything it shouldn't (cheapness and stifling creativity).

And that goes for all the POOPs - the 1x2 brick with side clip, the • HORRIBLE
castle archway, the ABOMINABLE Rock-Raiders chassis etc. Cut costs in other
ways if you need to - but skimping on quality is stealing from the children
that you claim to care so much about. I do believe that you care more than
most, but POOPing on us in this way, is not the way to show it!

If you want people to buy LEGO kits as opposed to your competitors toys,
then you need to add value - the values of LEGO are summed up in the first
half of the quoted post. If you need to cut costs, then find another
supplier, cut your overheads, anything but reduce the value of your product.
If consumers see the value of LEGO going down, then the relative value of
your competitors must be going up, and people will switch brands - see the
increasing mention of M*ga-Bl*cks in these groups!
Personally I dislike the cheapness of other 'construction toys' more than I
dislike the speciality pieces, but increasingly I find myself spending my
LEGO budget on used bricks, as even dusty, incomplete sets of old have
greater value to me than your current playsets.

(Duckie) Dave Till

p.s. Not all the pieces mentioned above can be made from other parts, though
small changes to the set designs could have allowed simpler pieces to be
used instead.