 Dear LEGO / 1524
Re: ZNAP (was:8448 Flexible Axles (was Re: Parts from 8448 not LDrawn))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:56:04 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Earley writes:

I like that bridge! Do the ZNAP parts connect directly to lego parts? I have
not seen ZNAP and would like more info....

-Rich

They connect to Technic sidewise with clips. They have no studs. If you think
of a beam without studs or stud holes (smooth on top and bottom), with
clip/technic holes along the sides (but only on every other center - a 6 stud
long Technic beam has 5 holes, a 6 stud long Znap beam has 3 holes) and then
at the ends of the beam is a "C" shape that accepts the special Znap fitting,
your image should be pretty close to the object. The Znap "fitting" is a
square with four "clips" (different than Technic) sticking out. Of course,
there is a variation which is a hinge and one that has only two clips (which
slips through the regular fitting to allow building out from all six faces of
the cube). Straight beams also slip through the fitting. The beams come in
straight (several lengths up to 16 studs), angled (45 degrees), curves (with
different radii) and combinations (triangles, reinforced curves, double "Y"
curves and reinforced rectangles). I counted about 30 different components
that make up the Znap "Library".

What makes Znap so interesting is that they are made for building quickly (and
with rigidity) in all three directions/dimensions. Using only two directions,
I was able to vastly reinforce my bridge structure (which is 5 feet long
overall) and it took on the true appearance of a bridge. Had I been limited to
Technic and bricks alone, the bridge would have been at least 4 studs wider
(to allow for the two direction interfacing with Technic) and would have been
too heavy to have it open.

I have more sets due to be delivered soon! - and can hardly wait to see what I
can build then.

Wayne