 Database / Brictionary / *62 (-20)
  Re: Partsref is Moving to LUGNET

(...) Speaking of which... I just posted my wants list. I want hundreds of most of the items on it. Someone pointed out to me that if I could tell of sets that had large quantities of the parts I might get better responses. Given the current state (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Partsref is Moving to LUGNET

One thing I noticed with the DAT explorer is that POV rendered images look _MUCH_ better with the lossless PNG format thatn with JPEG. Perhaps appropriate use of the JPEG smoothing function would help the the tests I did looked bad even at 100% (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Partsref is Moving to LUGNET

(...) IMHO, the best thing is having both (a) super-quick-loading GIFs and (b) high-quality POV JPEGs, and then letting the user decide which one to view. A while back, someone even suggested having spinning/rotating POV-rendered images for each (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad.ray)

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message news:FM32ur.BwF@lugnet.com... (...) I agree. Some parts--especially those with lots of rounded surfaces--can be hard to make out in LDraw. POVRAY works much better for these parts (and for decorated (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Partsref is Moving to LUGNET

(...) Cool! (...) Is there any desire to have povray rendered images for each part? I still think that would be cool, even though the ldraw versions are more useful for some things. It would also be nice to be able to either: 1. have all parts (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Partsref is Moving to LUGNET

(...) Well, like it says on the page, "To reference a part image, when you already know the LDraw number for that part, use the following URL format. (URL).gif" In other words, linking directly to these images is OK in this case. (...) These are (...) (25 years ago, 1-Dec-99, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Looking for pieces to trade at the meeting (November and Dece mber )

Not to nit pick too much, but I feel we would be helped if we standardized the terms a bit. I think that there are some elements that are referred to differently than "industry standard" that I have commented on. If I can get to the Decemer meeting, (...) (25 years ago, 30-Nov-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: Best way to make parts images?

(...) Quick and Dirty: - Install LDLite and LDraw Add-On - Point LDAO at LDLite for catalog-images (see (URL)). - Run the Make Catalog repeatedly, once for each color. - After running each color-batch, copy/convert all the files in ldraw\vec\ to a (...) (25 years ago, 29-Nov-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Best way to make parts images?

(...) I once wrote a program to create GIFs from the LeoCAD library for a person who wanted to build a database with all parts. If you're interested, just tell me how you want the files (size, color, command line options) and I'll recompile it (or (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Best way to make parts images?

(...) I don't think I agree. The images produced by LDLITE or something similar contain much more information, as they include the edge-lines in the parts. I tried to use raytraced images for instructions once, but I quickly came to the conclusion (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Best way to make parts images?

I would use l3p and povray, but since l3p only runs on wintel, you have to do that part on a wintel box. Here's how I would do it: 1. Make a batch file to create a dat file for each part. 2. make a batch file to run l3p on each of those dat files 3. (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad)

  Best way to make parts images?

What's the "best"[1] automated or semi-automated way to render a large number of parts images into GIFs? (It's OK if there are multiple steps or if a final pass has to convert the results from PNG or BMP to GIF.) What I would like to do for the (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Well, it's not trying to yet...that part is still a ways out. (...) Right. That interface was a quick prototype and an experiment to get the feel of cross-referencing hops between different object types. It was never meant as anything but a (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.admin.database)

  Re: Inventories

(...) Well, there are several reasons I am not going to do that. First off is that I know how to program Access. Those who know how to program other systems have not put forth the time to make one in their programming language of choice, so I will (...) (25 years ago, 10-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

(...) Har! No, really...you brains good and my bad and me grammar good too! I got exactly what I wanted...a flurry of responses, in a simple endeavor to find out if the best and brightest have come up with any solutions to a part search and (...) (25 years ago, 27-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

(...) c /here/hear/ ... but who's here to notice? (...) Swelled heads typically occur when new facts are uttered. Nothing was by Dave that I didn't already know to be true about myself so there's no danger of (additional) swelling. But seriously, I (...) (25 years ago, 27-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Dave Lovelace writes: [SNIP] (...) ...you are all truly brilliant, and obviously experienced, (...) Please don't let Lar here this! His head is quite large enough already.... :^) as evah, John C. (25 years ago, 27-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

(...) Not so fast, my humble friend... Just because it isn't used as the database key or as the "unique definitive" part number doesn't mean your part numbers have no merit. I supported your suggestion because I felt it was appropriate to include a (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

(...) It sounds like you're talking about the mold quality control numbers. On most LEGO parts that a large enough concealed surface, you find three numbers -- two vary from part to part for the reasons you describe. These are usually one or two (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

  Re: wishing upon a star

(...) Thank you for the kind words, John...and the insights. I am a two-month old "newbie" and have very little to offer gods of thinking such as yourself, and also of course the other geniuses involved in this discussion, other than simple hero (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.db.brictionary)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact