 Database / Brictionary / 53
Re: Best way to make parts images?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:18:13 GMT

"Kevin Loch" <kloch@opnsys.com> writes:

P.S. I do believe you want to use raytraced images since they are
much easier on the eye than the ldraw/ldlite renderings.

I don't think I agree.  The images produced by LDLITE or something
similar contain much more information, as they include the edge-lines in
the parts.  I tried to use raytraced images for instructions once, but I
quickly came to the conclusion that they looked cool, but were otherwise
suboptimal compared with the LDLITE'd images.  In my opinion, POV-Ray is
neat for making photorealistic images, but not for instructions or parts
databases.

You can compare this with the LEGO Company's own instruction sheets:
They always use some kind of CAD style images for the instruction steps
(with the edge-lines), while for the front cover, they use
photorealistic images.

Paul Gyugyi presented a very interesting idea some time ago: To tweak
L3P so that it included the edge-lines in the output.  If something
like this existed, I would agree with you that L3P would be ok to use
for a parts database.

Fredrik