 Database / Brictionary / 52
Re: Best way to make parts images?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 06:00:45 GMT

I would use l3p and povray, but since l3p only runs on wintel, you have
to do that part on a wintel box.

Here's how I would do it:

1.  Make a batch file to create a dat file for each part.
2.  make a batch file to run l3p on each of those dat files
3.  move all pov files to unix box
4.  make a script/program to chop everything below the object line
in the pov file and replace it with your desired background/camera/light
settings
5.  make a script (maybe same as step 4) run povray on each new pov file.

Steps 4 and 5 are basically what the DAT explorer does except that I manually
chop the defaults since there are very few pov files to deal with.  If you'd
like the source to that let me know.  Actually if someone did steps 1 and 2,
(my dos batch skills were purged about 10 years ago) and told me what you want
the parts to look like, I could do 4 and 5 pretty
fast.

P.S. I do believe you want to use raytraced images since they are much easier
on the eye than the ldraw/ldlite renderings.

KL

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Todd Lehman writes:
What's the "best"[1] automated or semi-automated way to render a large
number of parts images into GIFs?  (It's OK if there are multiple steps or
if a final pass has to convert the results from PNG or BMP to GIF.)

What I would like to do for the LUGNET Brictionary is let something loose on
my C:\LDRAW\PARTS directory and have it spit out thousands of images like
the ones Tom Stangl made here...

  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/
  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/?c=15&n1=3004&n2=3004

...but work toward a display format more like this:

  http://www.lugnet.com/database/elements/sample-2571.html

and possibly also like one or more of these:

  http://www.lugnet.com/database/elements/sample-2357.html

So at the minimum, I want to be able to make White and Clear images of every
element, but if I can do that then I can (probably) make all colors just as
easily.

It'll take a good gigabyte or so of disk space for all the images, but it'll
be well worth it.

The nice thing about having all the parts pre-rendered in all colors, BTW,
is that a set inventory containing LDraw part numbers can be run through a
script to pump out a page showing pictures and names for all[2] the parts in
the set, in full color and crosslinked into the Brictionary for more
details.

--Todd

[1] Or for that matter, what's *any*...?
[2] All that are available in LDraw format, anyway.