 General / 8471
Re: Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:47:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jamie Obrien writes:
Hi, why not skip access altogether, and go for a straight BLOB or even
just a text parser. It works for LDraw and HTML works OK most of the
time. As long as you have a good design to start with you can have all
the main code OS portable, and have some other people who know the
various LS's fairly well write or cross the UI over for
Windows/Mac/X/*nix and whatever else out there can compile ANSI C
code. This would give it the widest possible reach, and if a platform
isn't supported by a basic UI (other than the basic text interface)
well then they could roll together their own UI using a predefined
common template. You could even implement some basic TCPIP features
for direct connection to online Databases say at Lugnet! We've done
this kind of thing before 2 and 3 tier apps are becoming pretty common
these days and cross development times decrease dramatically!!!

Cheers
Jamie Obrien
jamien@interworx.com.au
.

Well, there are several reasons I am not going to do that.  First off is that
I know how to program Access.  Those who know how to program other systems
have not put forth the time to make one in their programming language of
choice, so I will choose my language of choice.  For all I care about people
who use Unix and Linux, they can write their own.  Apparently, they (on
average) are well adepted at writing their own code.  Windows/Mac users are
not so adept.

It seems as though the online system at Lugnet is not really doing it very
well, as it hasn't been updated and searches don't return current sets that
have part X.  Also, if I inventory a set, then how do I put it into Tim
Vattima's database?  I can't.  All I can do is upload it to db.inv and then
those who can program text parsers use it and the majority of the rest of
people here don't see it or benefit from it.  Face it, a windows only
application would serve the majority of Lugnet users better than the current
system.  Windows/Mac would be even better.  I will program for windows only
and a Mac conversion will be simple, as Access is available for the Mac.  Then
those who want the program to run on some obscure or enterprise level OS can
do the interface themselves.  I don't want to use a command line interface to
run my program.  I actually LIKE windows.

I am still in design phase, but I have had some inspirational (to me) ideas
pop into my head on this and I am going to go with it.  It will allow for both
an official parts list and an unofficial list which will be kept seperate, but
both will be used for set inventories, which will also have an official list
and an unofficial list.  My main logistical goal and stumbling block is to try
to automate the addition of other people's inventories into the master file
without duplicating pieces in the elements list, as somebody who inventories
one new set will add a new part to the parts list that another person adds at
the same time on a completely different set.  I am guessing that the
inventories may have to be manually checked to prevent element duplication
prior to update releases, which sucks because that is extra work.  (Only new
parts will need to be checked, so it is not too bad.)

Also, I think connecting to an online database is great, but then you HAVE to
be online to get it to work.  I would personally prefer a database that would
work offline that could be updated through either downloading a patch OR
syncronizing over the net.  Then you could have the best of both worlds.

I just noticed that there are 3206 sets in the Pause directory.  I know many
are DUPLO and Scala, but there are probably around 2000 Lego sets and the
average set size is about 130 pieces, which ends up being over a quarter
million pieces to inventory.  I think Access can handle it without too much
difficulty, but if it can't, I will either upsize it or port it to another
database program.

How is the bricktionary debate doing, by the way?  I would LOVE to include a
bricktionary in the database as part of the parts inventory system.  Is there
any plan yet to make the bricktionary an online database or possibly an
offline one?