 General / 8079
Re: Inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:00:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Simon Robinson writes:
Does anyone know if there's anywhere on the web where
set inventories are stored?

I'm starting to think about the possibility of inventorying
some of my sets as I build them and putting the info
probably in an Access Database. (It's only a vague idea
at the moment, but if I do go through with it I'd be happy
to make the results available to anyone)

But I don't want to start reinventing the wheel if anyone's
done anything like this before.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Simon,

I have also been wanting to create an inventory program.  I hate having to log
onto the web to check the availability of a piece.  Also, I program Access at
work and have gotten somewhat respectable at it.  If I could get some help in
the data entry, I would love to try to write a front end that would be user
friendly and work off-line.  Also, it could be split with updates to the data
files happening every so often.  A bricktionary could be included with links
to pics of the actual pieces.  Maybe even a form that lets you pick a certain
number of sets and quantities and it spits out a list of all the items
combined.  Lots of possibilities...

I was going to do that myself (until I realized I didn't have the time to
enter all the data into it) and call it the Builder's Companion.  As I am busy
in harvest season, I would be about 2 months off from having serious free time
to do one, but just the bare bones to allow the data entry would be pretty
easy to do.  How many sets are there to enter?  About 2000, give or take?
Average size 200-300 pieces.  And a parts list of about 2000 pieces.  Looks
like a decent amount of work, but manageable.

If you or some others want to, let me know and I will get one started up.
With enough people, we could have a lot of data pretty quickly.  For a final
version, we could set up a runtime access copy so that people without MS
Access can still use it.

Easiest way to catch me on this is to email me at: lego@poindexter.cc

Mike