Re: Castle World: A Plan of Action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Matt Hein wrote:
   1, Are we preserving the accounts of previous balladeers in an archival page of some sort? Since I understand pawel is probably at the reins of this project now (from what I read in under a half hour) there seems to be some momentum to preserve what is left, but create a more inviting atmosphere.

Yes, there will be an extensive archive for what has gone before.

No, Pawel is not at the reigns of CW, he has declined that level of involvement.

Inviting atmosphere aside, we are starting from scratch -- well, except for the existence of the former CW archive on one end of things.

   2. Are we basing CW on a RPG oriented/ storytelling environment, or will there be stories contributed on a voluntary basis? If so, are events such as the gathering scheduled once again appear for the community?

Some people are very keen to o a D&D/RPG type of thing and I am sure they will eventually find a home for that project, whether that’s CW or the other project being planned I just don’t know.

I have always been against CW being an RPG thing because it should emphasis storytelling in my view, but I am willing to see where people get to in their plans.

   3. What sort of help are you looking for in maintaining the site? I might be of assistance with writing out reports of events or drawing up a newspaper section (which would basically constitute a one page weekly article which summarizes the recent major events at CW, whether it be balladeer stories or rule changes, character deaths, etc.)

Yes, such an offer might be helpful. I think we are looking to have Guilds as Pawel described them. Each Guild should probably have an “admin” level participant on the CW committee. Such people probably need to have knowledge of FTP, HTML, Graphics creation for the web, and some basic writing skills. Such persons could also have helpers.

We still need to hammer out who will be part of said committee and precisely how this will all happen.

   4. If a storytelling environment is planned out, will community members be given an option of creating a chain styled storyline (in which one person continues from where the other left off? I know it’s unlikely, but it sounds interesting :)

Actually, these kinds of things should be the heart of CW -- in my not so humble opinion. I can see people playing off the throw of the dice, but I’d like to see it become storytelling online. The emphasis should be to create stories and scenarios that amuse and please the participants -- if the material also amuses and pleases others, so much the better.

At the moment I think that we can start CW smallish with at minimum a links page -- a kind of portal into other people’s projects. Various participants can provide key elements of their individual and group projects -- stuff like a brief synopsis of their project, key characters, and scenes. Unlike the former CW, the word “key” here doesn’t mean dozens of characters detailed in full -- that kind of material belongs on the private homepages of the various projects themselves (this is probably what killed the old CW, the webmaster of CW was the de facto web-slave/publisher for everybody’s stories and characters -- we won’t be doing that again). CW will house the truly key material: a couple of character descriptions in brief, with accompanying images; a couple of main scenes from the story, etc. One way to think of it would be to imagine what might fit onto a single reasonably short page of HTML on CW. That’s what you might get and no more. The rest you do elsewhere.

IF we are able to organize ourselves sufficiently well, CW could at that point open up for use by the head of each Guild -- which is to say, we wouldn’t need other webspace, we could use the space allotted to us at ozbricks. Once the archive is complete, I think we shall still have 40-45 MB of space. That seems small at first, but if your emphasis is storytelling with images optimized for the web that’s actually a lot of space. Maybe not enough space ultimately, but we can experiement with it. One thing we need to do unlike before is to maintain very tidy offline copies of the material uploaded to the CW site -- should the need arise it can therefore be uploaded elsewhere. One person suggested using Brickshelf for housing images and that might be one solution. Then ozbricks would mainly house just the HTML, and in which case 40-45 MB is a huge amount of space.

Lastly...

While I want to move ahead into discussion about how to proceed and further refinement of what CW is going to be about I would like it WELL understood by Ellerman and Hoffman that I was in no way trying to steal the fire from their “sister” project as discussed here: http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=17682

I don’t know how CW fits in with things, but I did not mean to squash their plans. If we could get a better idea of what they intend to do, then we might have a better understanding of what CW could provide that wouldn’t be in competition with that project. Cooperation between both projects with a pro-community approach is needed. We can’t divide our tiny, irregular community and expect good results from such a move.

“Ellerman, and Hoffman -- white courtesy telephone please...”

-- Hop-Frog