Re: Castle World: A Plan of Action
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   If you were somewhat quietly offering to take reign of the beast again, I am only too eager to accept your offer. So, speak up, Man!

No no no ... I know my current limitations (away from my legos, pretty busy schedule at school), but CW is still something that I feel could and would work well if it were set up properly. The key would be to have groups of people working on projects independently of the admin.

   I like your Guilds idea a lot, but how does it get implemented by the participants unless they ALL have admin rights to CW? Or is that your point -- that everyone be responsible for their own stuff?

Here is how I see the guilds working: Let’s say me and two others decide to create our own world. We put together a whole separate page and give it a name. We then post our website and whenever the CW admin person has time, he links from the general CW website to the new kingdom website.

The perks from this kind of system would be freedom on both sides. The builders are not limited by the speed of the admin - all the admin does is maintain a general site with information about creating your own guild, links to current guilds, and some of the more successful products. From this, I see stories naturally arising, although that wouldn’t be the focus. The focus would just be on creativity and people working together.

So people could even post their own wanted adds to the CW site - and maybe that’s something that could be done on the lugnet.castle.org.cw site. If I am building a castle and need a village, I could post that and see if someone is willing to work with me. You never know who is out there lurking and looking for the right time to come out and contribute.

Of course, some would contribute a lot more than others, but even a small MOC would make the overall Castle World that much richer.

Another thing I would suggest is that a place exists in Castle World only if it is currently built. If one of my characters wants to travel to another kingdom and visit another person’s creation, that creation needs to be available. If the person wants to take it apart, then they can come up with a story of the creation’s demise. Castle World would be a real place in a vitural world.

The other nice thing about this is that there would be no timeframe for anything. Kingdoms are formed whenever people feel like forming them, are updated whenever the persons involve feel like updating them, and whatever storyline progresses, progresses at the leisure of those involved. People would always be allowed to join active guilds, or if they felt like it, could start their own guild. So the project wouldn’t really fail or succeed - it would just be there.

I personally feel this system would encourage people to build creations they normally wouldn’t. If I post a request for a ship, a few people that normally wouldn’t think of building one might take up my offer. Just another option of possible projects ...

The whole thing would be pretty simple to set up as well - one main page discussing the mission of the project, a FAQ, and maybe a link to some of the older creations (as a footnote if anything. I’m not even sure if it would be necessary).

I hope that idea makes sense. Let me know what you think.

-- Pawel