Re: Hello!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 23:20:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
Well, the point of IOM is creative freedom for the individual authors in an
interactive environment.  Forcing them to follow a single storyline is
antithesis to the original plan.

Even so, without a preset storyline, what missions would
there be, entirely? Most of them, I presume would be the
expansion of cities, exploration of caves, and such.

There are many, many possibilities.  Maybe there is a war at home, and they are
looking for help.  Maybe there was a legend about sleeping gods on the isle.
Maybe they want to colonize.  Or maybe they just want to explore.  :)

Well, yes, I could see that. and, colonization is interesting,
but why not put an additional storyline about it, such say,
General Red decides to go to IOM to escape his rogue government, when
he discovers the myth of mist, about the treasure of the gods. So, he sends
his forces forth to explore the island, but soon learns his old
government is after the treasure as well, and he is faced with the
decision of foghting his old government, or joining them. Hey, this is
my storyline, but it's just an example of what I would do. Then, along
the way, the General and his army would be faced with certain scenerios,
and they either have the option of taking it on, or escaping, which throws
them a bit backwards.

However, with a storyline, the idea of the story would progress much more
thoroughly, and would add to the intrigue of the story. How about this?
The storyline progresses as the characters, as they go along. Sure,
it isn't a game, but think of it as crestive writing of scenerios.

Ah, but there doesn't have to be a single storyline for story progression
to happen.  :)

No, there can be tons of storylines interwined, some going
parallel, others actually crossing. I guess that's the beauty of IOM.
However, when characters from two different genres interact, this is
when situations get a tad more interesting.

You're given a preset situation (which you have no clue to what
is is until it's selected, and each character gets a different mission.
Their goal is to find a way throughout the mission by doing
so as they would do in a normal situation. Puzzles, like simple
logic, military strategies, etc. I think this would actually add
to the mystery, and probably some great ideas from characters, on
how they would escape the situation, and progress through the
storyline.

Again, that is forcing authors into doing things they may not want to do.  In
addition, I know I'm not the only one who has trouble writing when forced to
do it in a certain way.

Well, they are given the option to, or not to take part in the
randomly generated storyline. They can create things as they go on,
and the administrator doesn't mess with the storyline, just give the
storyteller a few options to work on. It's like a real expedition.
You have no clue as to what happens next. Intrigue adds to the
excitement, doesn't it? No, it isn't a game, yet still...it's a medley
of storytelling, and a personal journey for each character, as onlookers
can monitor their progress in real time environments.

Again, creative freedom is limited far more than was intended when the IOM was
concieved.  I just realized that this issue has pretty much been addressed by
the admins, actually:
http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/cw_isle/articles/rpg.html

Hmm...quite interesting...such is the complexity, of what
should be an overwhelmingly simple Rope Playing Game. Well, I've
tried to make my RPG's for my Lego characters, but messing with statistics,
reports, bios, etc seems to be a real pain, besides, it's hard to
manage a log on over a hundred different characters, each of them
with their own personality, political view, etc. Arrgh...perhaps I
should stick to the basics, just show a storyline, and attempt
to keep my sights set on IOM But until I procure the alotted capital
to initiate my project, I have a lot more important matters on my agenda,
such as writing my novel (yes, I am writing a book...), and working
on my drawings (ballpoint reneditions of my characters, not bad...)

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112
Pyrokid17@hotmail.com