Re: Hello!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:50:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:

Well, I think the lack of map updates is the problem in that respect.  Most
people were sending characters to the IOM on a mission, but they can't
continue on these missions if they can't actually go anywhere.  One
suggestion I made a while back that could still be implemented is seeding
story ideas into each map section.  That way people have something to do even
when there is a technical difficulty.  :)

A seeded story would be a good idea, but I think implementing
an actual storyline into the whole IOM would be a decent idea
too.

Well, the point of IOM is creative freedom for the individual authors in an
interactive environment.  Forcing them to follow a single storyline is
antithesis to the original plan.

However, I see hardly any story line, and the missions sent into the IOM seem
more like expeditions into the unknown, with no storyline in sight. Perhaps,
the chief administrator of the IOM site, could add storylines into a
predestined area only he would know about, and the other players of IOM
wouldn't know (to add to the intrigue and mystery) I.e an example of this
would be.

Administrator places an event on section 13 of the map.
"character runs into a tribe of killer goblins!"

Player one steps onto section thirteen.

Admin delivers message stating that player one has run
into killer goblin tribes!

Now, player one must devise a way to escape from
the situation or end up an early demise, and get
kicked out of the game.

I think you're missing the point of IOM.  Its a tool for storytelling, *not* a
game.  Only the individual storytellers can decide if their characters die.  In
addition, "The storyteller meets a tribe of killer goblins" forces the authors
into a set storyline.  It is much better to give them a fairly neutral idea,
and allow them to develop it as they choose.  Also, these story ideas would be
completely optional.

Jeff