Re: Hello!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 12:35:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Jeff Stembel writes:
Well, the point of IOM is creative freedom for the individual authors in an
interactive environment.  Forcing them to follow a single storyline is
antithesis to the original plan.

Even so, without a preset storyline, what missions would
there be, entirely? Most of them, I presume would be the
expansion of cities, exploration of caves, and such.

There are many, many possibilities.  Maybe there is a war at home, and they are
looking for help.  Maybe there was a legend about sleeping gods on the isle.
Maybe they want to colonize.  Or maybe they just want to explore.  :)

However, with a storyline, the idea of the story would progress much more
thoroughly, and would add to the intrigue of the story. How about this?
The storyline progresses as the characters, as they go along. Sure,
it isn't a game, but think of it as crestive writing of scenerios.

Ah, but there doesn't have to be a single storyline for story progression
to happen.  :)

You're given a preset situation (which you have no clue to what
is is until it's selected, and each character gets a different mission.
Their goal is to find a way throughout the mission by doing
so as they would do in a normal situation. Puzzles, like simple
logic, military strategies, etc. I think this would actually add
to the mystery, and probably some great ideas from characters, on
how they would escape the situation, and progress through the
storyline.

Again, that is forcing authors into doing things they may not want to do.  In
addition, I know I'm not the only one who has trouble writing when forced to
do it in a certain way.

I think you're missing the point of IOM.  Its a tool for storytelling, *not*
a game.  Only the individual storytellers can decide if their characters die.
In addition, "The storyteller meets a tribe of killer goblins" forces the
authors into a set storyline.  It is much better to give them a fairly
neutral idea, and allow them to develop it as they choose.  Also, these story
ideas would be completely optional.

Even if it is a tool for storytelling, you know, it would help to
have suggestions such as these. Sure, some situations could be
optional.If the preset character runs into a tribe of killer nomadic
spartan goblins with eight foot swords, than the character would
have the choice, of A. running off back to the village like a wimp,
B. devising a way to get around the goblins and create an interesting
storyline, or C. Join up with other characters to attack the goblin brigade.

Again, creative freedom is limited far more than was intended when the IOM was
concieved.  I just realized that this issue has pretty much been addressed by
the admins, actually:
http://web.utk.edu/~pnazarew/cw_isle/articles/rpg.html

Jeff